Chapter Twelve - Scottish Beauty

Chapter Twelve

Emma entered the great hall and walked towards the high table to retrieve the shawl that she left there.    She noticed Ian waiting for her by the front door and started walking towards him.   She didn’t get very far, for Angus stopped her.

“Emma, before ye leave, I want to give ye something,” Angus told her as he swirled the amber liquid in his goblet.    He reached into his plaid now and pulled out a velvet pouch and handed it to her.    Emma took the pouch and peaked inside but before she could open her mouth to protest, Angus was up out of his chair and had his hands clasped around her hands that were holding the pouch.

“Just a little something for ye lass.   Now go on, I want you to purchase anything ye fancy in the village,” he told her with a softened tone.   “Ye will be the daughter that I never had, I’m so very happy for ye and Andrew.   You spoil yourself on anything ye want,” Angus told her with a twinkle in his eye.

“I don’t know what ye lassies like, ribbons, new slippers...whatever ye like.   I want you to purchase some very pretty cloth for the wedding.   ‘Tis my first born son’s wedding and I’m so very proud he found a lovely lass like ye to marry.”   Angus leaned into Emma now, he kissed her forehead and shooed her away.

She looked back at him, a tear rolling down her cheek.  ”No time for tears now lass, ye will make an old softy out of me,” Angus croaked out, a bit of moisture pooling at the sides of his eyes as well as he saw how emotional she was for his generous gift.   “Out with ye then lass, Ian is waiting for ye.”

Emma flew back into his arms and gave Angus a hug.   “I thank ye Angus, I cannot ask for a better family to marry into.   I love all of ye!”  She leaned into him now and pecked him on the cheek.   Emma never thought the day that she would see Angus blush, but now she did.  

Andrew was standing not far behind his Da when he saw the interchange between them.  He watched as Emma left the hall with Ian and went to approach his Da.    “What was that all about?” he asked him.

“I gave Emma some coin to spend on herself.  Can I not spoil my daughter-in-law?” Angus said scowling at Andrew.  

“Aye, of course ye can Da,” Andrew replied shaking his head not sure why all of a sudden his Da was in a foul mood.

“Andrew, ye come with me.  There is something that I need to give to ye and now is a good time,” Angus told him as he marched out of the hall towards the solar.

Andrew followed him into the room and watched as he Da sat beside an old wooden desk.   He opened a locked drawer and pulled out another velvet pouch.    Sun was shining through the window and as Angus emptied the pouch, the rays caught onto the emeralds and rubies in the McKenna ring making it sparkle.    Angus held the ring now, more moisture seemed to pool in his eyes, Andrew could tell that his Da was trying very hard not to let the tears drop.   

Andrew knew his Da was thinking of Roslyn, his late wife, the Mother of his four sons.  She was taken far too soon out of their lives.   Andrew knew that his Da missed her each and every day.   Many lasses have tried to try to become the next Lady McKenna, but Angus was having nothing to do with them.    He hired a couple of nurses to care for the boys, Margo ran his castle, no one would ever replace the love of his life.