Chapter Eight - Scottish Beauty

Chapter Eight

“What is your business with the Fraser’s?”Andrew heard his Da ask Colin as he and Ian made their way back to the high table.  Curious to hear his response, Andrew took the stool directly across from Colin.   Ian sat on the empty stool next to Andrew and introduced himself.

“Three sons Angus, your wife was a good breeder,” Colin laughed heartily as he helped himself to the bounty that was laid before him.

Not looking amused, “Nae, four sons.  My youngest is at court attending to King James,” Angus told him, still waiting for him to answer his question.

“Your business with the Fraser’s?” Robert repeated his Da’s question, wanting to know the answer as much as everyone else.

“Oh aye, my sister...she has married one of the sons and she had her first bairn nigh a month ago.   I go for the family to pay our respects and see my niece,” Colin smiled a bit too smugly.

There was something about this guest that Andrew did not like.  He acted as though he was keeping a secret, acted like he knows more then he’s letting on.  Also, the way he had looked at Emma made him uneasy.  If he was to lay one hand on her, Andrew would make sure that he would never use that hand again.

Robert, looked around, as though he just noticed now that she was missing, turned to Andrew, ”Where is Emma?  Did she retire for the evening?”

“Aye, she had taken ill when I found her in the kitchen.  I sent Ian to walk her back to her chamber,” Andrew told Robert, but as he was speaking, he was looking directly at Colin, as if to gauge his reaction.

“Is the lass alright Ian?” Angus asked him with concern.   “Perhaps I should send Margo to attend to her.”  Angus said looking around the hall to see if Margo was around.

“Nae, she said she is just overtired and wished to retire,” Ian told his Da reassuring him, looking at Andrew.  The two brothers looked at each other, not wanting to give any more information away then necessary.

Robert and Angus both knew that something was up, but knew from the looks between Ian and Andrew, that nothing was going to be said in front of their guest.  They would have to be patient and find out after their guest was shown to his chamber to find out what was transpiring between the two brothers.

“A pity that Emma has retired so, I was looking forward to the company of a bonny lass,” Colin said grinning with a look of lust on his face as he popped some cheese in his mouth.

That did it.   Andrew was furious now.  He rose so quickly, knocking his stool over, fists clenched at his sides,”Ye what?” he shouted, staring at Colin with fury in his eyes.

Robert understood his brother’s anger and knew that he needed to calm Andrew down before his brother cut down the man looking at them all once again so smugly.   “Andrew, I’m sure that Colin dinna mean it that way.”  Robert calmly stated while rising and putting his arm on Andrew’s shoulder.  “Did ye Colin?” he now asked their guest.