Chapter Sixteen

Last Love

Chapter Sixteen

@CheyenneRayne

All Rights Reserved

            He follows me up to my room as I sit down on the bed. “How long have you known?”

            He sighs and sits down in front of me. “A day or two, not long… I was going to tell you, I just didn’t want to scare you.” Okay, so maybe he didn’t have a bad reason… I mean, it did kind of freak me out. “I’m sorry… Please forgive me, love.”

            “I was never really mad at you, I was just kind of shocked, I guess… So, when does this take place?” I ask, hoping he’ll say we’re not ready for that yet…

            “No one can say for sure, it could be today, tomorrow, next week… It just depends on when the bond is ready and trust me, you’ll know when it is.”

            Something catches my eye from behind him… It’s the paintings. “Can we hang them now?” He smiles.

            “Of course, but why don’t you go and meet Rebekah while I hang them, then it’ll be a surprise.”

            “Is it really necessary I meet her? I mean, I just don’t think we’ll get along…”

            “Sadly, it is, sweetheart, but I promise, you don’t have to stay long, I’ll be down there to rescue you shortly.” He smirks as I nod.

            “Well, I can’t wait for that.” I add and leave the room. I head back downstairs and enter the parlor. Rebekah is sitting alone by the window.

            “Ah, well, Nik actually did send you down… Surprising… Well, I don’t believe we’ve formally met, I’m Rebekah. Please have a seat.” I sit down in front of her as she starts babbling on. “So, Elijah told me the whole sob story on how you all met and I am so terribly sorry I was unable to witness it, I was in a coffin for a century, so I missed a lot.”

            “I get the impression you don’t care much for Klaus?” I ask just as he appears in my mind. Don’t mind me… He says as I stay focused on Rebekah.

            She chuckles, “I’ve tried for many centuries to help my brother keep his humanity and do you know what it’s gotten me? Daggered and put in a coffin for a hundred years. I love Niklaus, but you’ve always got to keep your guard up around him. Heave my warning, Klaus will destroy you, bond or no bond.”

            “I’m sorry, Rebekah, but I’m afraid you’re wrong… Klaus isn’t what you think he is.”