Chapter Nine

• Dedicated to everyone reading this!

           "So, what do you think?" I ask as Elijah stands by the fireplace with Klaus.

           "It can be done... But we'll have to wait for just the right time. Mother can see visions of the future so fooling her would be difficult unless one of you were to kill her. She can't see anything about either of you because of the bond."

           "Well, brother, I think you just gave us an idea..." Klaus smirks and looks to me. "Looks like we'll be paying Mother a visit soon... She'll never see it coming." He starts to leave the living room, then looks back to me.

           "Coming, love?"

           I pause. "I think Elijah and I are going to have a little chat, you know catch up on things." He's hesitant at first. "I don't have to be one step behind you for the bond to work. We are in the same house, so it should be fine." He nods and walks down the hall.

           "What's wrong?" Elijah asks and sits down beside of me.

           "Nothing, I just wanted to tell you something that Klaus didn't seem to mention." He looks at me curiously. "When we started to leave the witch house, I got a little ahead of Klaus and Bonnie, so I stopped and waited on them to catch up... When I did, I glanced back at the house and noticed something in the upstairs window. It was a white figure. I kept watching it and noticed a face. It was Emily's ghost and she wanted me to go back inside."

           He remains quiet a moment or two, then sighs. "Did Bonnie tell you what it meant?"

           "She wasn't sure, she never really told me directly, she just said it was bad. Especially since I was the only one that could see her. Klaus and Bonnie saw nothing."

           He was hesitant before responding. "What if I told you that I have been seeing her too...?"

           "What? How? Have you been to the witch house?"

           He shook his head. "No... She's been appearing to me in my dreams for the past few days. Well, ever since I came back here." Well, this keeps getting more and more suspicious by the minute.

           "Do you know of anyone else that can see her?"

           "I'm pretty sure it's only the two of us..."

           "Did she say anything to you? Maybe we can get an idea of what she wants."

           "She just kept saying 'Come.' And then she would show me the way to the witch house."

           "I wonder what she wants..." I mutter to myself.

           "I don't usually go against a witch's instinct, but I think Emily has something important to tell us and I think we should find out what that is."

           "I don't know..." I promised Bonnie I wouldn't go back but I also didn't know Elijah was seeing her as well. And even if I did go, how would I get away from Klaus? I know he isn't in my head, I still feel empty.

           "We'll have to hurry..." Elijah mutters and takes my hand. Within a flash, we're running through the woods and come up on the witch house. "If we make it quick, he'll never know we left."

           "Elijah... Could you help me with something before we go inside?"

           He turns to me and looks at me nervously. "What?"

           "Klaus said that we could get into each other's mind and he gets into mine all the time, but how do I get into his? I mean, I don't know how... If I could, I could tell if he noticed we were gone..."

           He smiles a bit. "I can't quite answer that for you. It's something that you have to learn yourself. It's just part of the bond."

           "Yes, but how do I learn it? I don't even know where to start..."

           He thinks a moment, trying to find the words to explain. "I've never been able to do that with anyone, but I heard once, many centuries ago, that you have to focus on that person... Let your mind wander to them and act like no one else matters. It takes patience and practice, so I doubt you'll be able to tell anything tonight."

           "You never know, Elijah... I could surprise you."

           "You could, but I highly doubt it." I ignore his comment and look ahead at the house. No sign of Emily...

           "Let's go get this over with." I mutter as we continue on into the house. I immediately get a really bad feeling. I'm a vampire, I've seen some pretty gruesome things in my lifetime, but I can still get scared. And right now, I'm scared out of my mind. I can't help but feel as if we should go back. I want to know what Emily has to say but I'd feel a lot better if Klaus were here.

           "Alright, Emily, we're here. What do you want?" Elijah's voice echoes around the empty room. Everything remains quiet.

           "Okay, I guess we can go now..." I add and start to walk back outside.

          Elijah stops me. "If you don't calm down, Klaus is going to figure out where we are."

           "How?"

           "You're scared, he can sense that. Now calm down before we get caught."

           I try taking deep breaths but it doesn't work... I really want Klaus here...

           "You're asking for it..." Elijah mutters under his breath.

           "Excuse me? How'd you know what I was thinking?"

           He stays quiet a moment. "I-I'm not sure..."

           "I do..." A hoarse voice says from above us. We both look up and see Emily's ghost staring back at us. Yep, if my heart was actually beating, I would have just had a heart attack.

           "What do you have to say to us?" Elijah asks as Emily walks around the balcony and to the top of the stairs.

          "I have a message... A message from Mother Nature..." She looks to me, "You aren't just a vampire. You're a very powerful supernatural creature, even more powerful than me. You have vampire strengths as well as those of a witch. You're bonded to Niklaus Mikaelson, an original vampire and hybrid. Not only that, but you're also bonded to Elijah."

           Elijah just stares at her as if he didn't hear her.

           "That's impossible, Emily. Nature only picks one soul mate, you can't have two." I state bluntly.

          "Well, that's what I thought... But it seems as if Mother Nature had some issues. She wasn't too sure about Niklaus, he was very evil, so she wanted to be sure you would have a soul mate if he failed to complete the bond... And that person just happened to be his brother."

           "Okay, but Klaus didn't fail, so the bond doesn't matter." Elijah finally adds.

           Emily looks to me. "Elijah showed you some of your memories before Niklaus... Therefore, Elijah's bond has matured and Klaus' is dying."