Prologue

"Stefan, as much as I want to hate Damon right now, I can't. He's been in love with Elena since he first saw her and I always knew that. He deserves to be happy and so do we. We just have to find that special someone, is all." I give Stefan a hopeful grin as he smiles at me.

           "So you're not leaving Mystic Falls?"

           "And leave my best friend here to fend for himself? No way." He pulls me into a hug.

           "Sometimes I wonder what I'd do without you, Grace." He mutters as I pull away.

          Stefan and I had been very good friends for many centuries. I was with him in the early 1900's when he became the ripper, but I saved him and he became Stefan again. As for Damon, I met him not long after Stefan. At first, I hated Damon. He was cocky, arrogant, and completely full of himself. But after I got to know him, I developed feelings for him and we became an item for a while. Well, until Elena came along. Damon became more and more distant from me and I quickly realized it was all because of her.

           I was, of course, upset with her. She had taken my true love away from me and left my best friend out in the cold. I used to like Elena, in her human form, but right now, I'd rather kill her. However, I must maintain my hatred for Stefan. He could never hate his brother, he won't admit it, but he couldn't. He just hopes that one day, Elena will snap out of it and remember that it is Stefan she loves, not Damon.

           As for me, I hope she does go back to Stefan, but I believe that Damon and I are done. For good. I should have known it wouldn't work. I've been searching for my soul mate for centuries. Ever since I became a vampire in the late 1600's, I've been hoping, waiting, praying, that someday I would find that one person that made me good.

          That made me feel like I wasn't such an evil creature. Now, I'm beginning to wonder if there is a such person out there for me... "Stefan! We have a visitor!" Damon yells from downstairs. Stefan and I descend down the staircase and enter the foyer. Damon and Elena are standing off to the side.

           "Who is it?" Stefan asks ahead of me. "Elijah?" He says as I catch up and stand beside of him at the foot of the stairs.

           "Elijah Mikaelson." I mumble, not believing what I'm seeing. Elijah and I used to be good friends a few centuries ago. He was actually the one that turned me... Then one day, I woke up and he was gone.

           "Grace, you're staying here?" He asks, smiling.

           "Yeah, where have you been?" I ask, walking over to him.

           He sighs. "Trying to keep my brother out of trouble, what about you?" He gives me a quick hug before releasing me.

           "Trying to keep these Salvatore's in line... What are you doing here?"

          His expression turns serious. "I'm here to warn you, Niklaus is back in town. He's coming to see Elena and he's not happy she's a vampire..."

           "Klaus is coming here, again?" Stefan repeats.

           Elijah nodded. "Yes, I wanted to warn you earlier, but I'm afraid he's almost here."

           We'd had a run in with Klaus before, well, Stefan and Damon had. I was actually out of town helping a friend, but I had definitely heard of him... Everyone had.

           "Well, well, my brother beat me to it, I see." A powerful male voice says from behind Elijah. I watch as Klaus walks into the house. He's tall, muscular, and has a sort of dirty blonde hair color. He's definitely quite the charmer. "Damon, Elena, Stefan, nice to see you all again..." His eyes stop on me. "I'm afraid we haven't met. I'm Klaus... Who might you be?" He asks, curiously.

           "Grace."

           "Grace..." He mutters and looks to Elijah who simply nods.

          Klaus stays quiet a moment.

           "I believe my brother and I have something we need to attend to. I will be seeing you all again soon..." He adds and quickly disappears out the door. Elijah looks at me and motions for me to follow him. Stefan puts his hand on my shoulder, signaling me to be careful.

          "It's okay, I trust Elijah." I mutter and follow him outside.

           Elijah hesitates but finally speaks. "I'm afraid I haven't been at all honest with you, Grace..."

           "What do you mean?"

           He shakes his head. "I never told you why I left and now, I think you should know... When I first met you, I believed you were an angel. You never lost your temper, you never wished anything bad on anyone and then, you became my friend. After many years of friendship, I became more and more afraid of losing you and you were afraid to die, so, we agreed that I would turn you as soon as I felt fit to do so. Then you came down with a serious case of pneumonia. I made a decision that changed your life forever and the next morning, you woke up as a vampire..."

           I nod. "I already know that-"

           "Just let me finish... When you woke up, I noticed an aura about you. You were angelic and honestly, you were the most loving and sincerest vampire I had ever met. But I did something very bad, something I'll never forgive myself for." He paused. "I compelled you to forget... Today, you met Klaus but it wasn't for the first time. You met him a few days after you turned. And Grace, you fell in love with him and he fell in love with you. I have always seen the bad side of my brother, but that day, something good overwhelmed him. He couldn't take the aura you were giving off. It almost killed him... He was still a young vampire, he didn't know he was a hybrid at the time and he couldn't handle the power. So, I erased your memory and I had a witch erase his. The only way that he would remember was if he saw you again, so I had to keep him away from you and the only way to do that was for me to leave."

           I let it sink in before I spoke. "So, you're telling me that the oldest, most powerful vampire in the history of vampires, is in love with me? Somehow I'm very doubtful."

           "Well... It isn't as simple as you think. You and Niklaus have a bond. An unbreakable bond... You see, Klaus has been a bit too angry lately. He feels as if he doesn't have anything to live for. Most of our family have disowned him, so I thought that now would be a good time to bring him to see you."

           Then I understood. "You think I can help him?"

           He nodded slowly. "Grace, you already have. Just by him seeing you today has given him something to believe in. The bond has been awoken. I promise, I'll explain more later, but I must go find Niklaus... You're the only one that can save him from himself."