Chapter Four

"You can't be serious, Grace. It's too risky." Elijah adds, shaking his head. I knew there would be some people against it, but I really didn't think it was that big of a deal.

           I shook my head. "No, it isn't. Come on, Elijah, you know me better than anyone. I really want to remember, I want to have memories like normal people..."

           "That's the problem, Grace, you aren't like normal people, you're a vampire."

           "I know, but memories are all I have, Elijah, please let him do it."

           Elijah glances at Klaus and then back to me as he paces the living room. "And what if the bond isn't mature enough? What if you die? What happens then?"

           I thought a moment. "What if you could know for sure if it was or wasn't?" I ask as they both just stare at me.

           "How?" Klaus asks.

           "Bonnie Bennett. She isn't too happy with Elena right now, but she's still good friends with me. I'm sure she could find out."

           I take the liberty of calling her and fill her in on the current situation. She says she can help but she thinks I should let Stefan come in case something does go wrong, even though she says it is highly unlikely. I, of course, do as she asks since she is the only one that can help right now. Stefan wasn't too happy at first, but once I explained to him why I wanted it to happen so bad, he understood and is now on his way here.

          The house is quite calm for now, Elijah is looking out the front window, awaiting our company. Meanwhile, Klaus is in his studio, with the painting that he had begun earlier. I got curious about him so I snuck away from Elijah and made my way to the doorway of Klaus' studio.

           "Can I help you?" He asks, without turning around.

           "I'm afraid I got so carried away with what I wanted today, I never asked you what you wanted. I can call Bonnie and tell her I changed my mind if that's what you want. I just figured you would want me to see the real you..."

           He smiles. "You truly are an angel, Grace. I know you really want your memories back and I intend to give them to you, just as long as Bonnie sees that it's fit. If she doesn't, I'm afraid I will not go through with it."

           "Agreed."

           "They're here." Elijah announces from the living room. Klaus and I walk down the hall just as Bonnie and Stefan walk inside.

           "Are you sure you want to do this?" Bonnie whispers to me as we walk into the living room. I nod as she gives me a hopeful smile. "Alright, when I start this spell, no one is to interrupt me. I don't care if the house is on fire, do not interrupt me. Do not grab for either one of them while I'm completing the spell, you could injure them or even yourselves." Everyone agrees as Bonnie, Klaus, and I stand in a circle in the middle of the room. "Join hands and close your eyes. Do not let go under any circumstances."

           I give a reassuring smile to Stefan and Elijah before Bonnie begins the spell. My eyes quickly shut as she begins talking in Latin. I have no idea what she's saying, but I do feel her energy. It feels like some sort of magnetic field is forming around us, pulling us deeper and deeper into the center. Then I feel a very strong burning sensation in my head. Everything inside me is telling me to let go, but I can't. Klaus holds on to me even tighter, it feels as if we're falling, but then, suddenly, everything stops.

           I don't feel her energy anymore. I look up and see Klaus staring behind me. I look around to see Bonnie leaned up against the fireplace with Elijah and Stefan on either side of her.

           "What is it? Could you tell?" I ask as she looks at me.

           She's a bit hesitant at first, but nods. "Yes, I could... I don't know a lot about bonds, but I swear, I have never felt that much energy from two people in my life. I've never even heard about it..."

           "So, is the bond mature enough?" I ask again as everyone watches her, awaiting the answer.

          She pauses before responding. "Yes, I highly doubt you'll have any problems... Can I speak with you two outside a moment?" Bonnie asks, looking at Stefan and Elijah. They nod and walk out on the front porch.

           "What was that about?" I ask as Klaus looks around, aimlessly.

           "I believe she's hiding something from us, love... Listen..." Vampire instincts kick in and my hearing intensifies. "What all do you know about bonds, Elijah?" Bonnie asks, quietly.

           "What do you mean?"

           "That bond isn't just a romance thing... It's powerful... When I was in there, it was like my own power was fighting back at me. I've never felt something like that. It's almost like they were protecting each other from my magic..."

           "But you're good, not evil..." Stefan mutters.

           "Bonds don't care if you're good or bad. They just have to protect the other. When it feels a threat, it reacts." Elijah adds.

           "I have an idea..." Klaus and I quickly get back in our original places as they all three enter the house again. Bonnie makes eye contact with me and sends me a message.

           Don't be afraid... I won't hurt you.

           What? She starts screaming in Latin as my brain feels like it's going to explode. I quickly fall to the ground, trying to relieve some of the pressure. "What are you doing?!?!" Klaus clenches his teeth as he reaches toward me. Then everything stops. I look up and see Bonnie smiling. "Did you see that?"

           "See what?" I ask as Klaus helps me up.

           "When he started to reach for you, you let off this weird white light... My power bounced off and returned to me..."

           "Her aura." Elijah adds.

           "That's impossible." Stefan mutters.

           "I'm confused, what does all this mean?" I ask.

          Klaus answers with a familiar smirk upon his face. "Well, sweetheart, I believe it means we're indestructible."