To Want Something Better Is No Disgrace {18}

"He respects my space

And never makes me wait

And he calls exactly when he says he will

He's close to my mother

Talks business with my father

He's charming and endearing

And I'm comfortable"

- "The Way I Loved You" by Taylor Swift

----------------------------------------------------------

    "Carter, stop braiding Kerri's hair." I told my brother for the fiftieth time.

    "No, no. It's okay. I like it." Kerri said with a smile.

    "But it's wierd to see a guy braiding a girl's hair."

    "Hey, there's nothing else to do besides stare at a the TV all day. So, why not braid someone's hair?" Carter retorted, "And besides, it looks good. I'm pretty much a pro at it now."

    I looked at Kerri's hair in three braids and sighed.

    "Hey, I bet you never tried braiding a braid with three braids." Carter said with a proud smile.

    "You're so wierd, Carter." I said to him.

    "Oh crap."

    I turned to Kerri, "Hm?"

    "My mom just texted me. She's outside right now, waiting for me. I have to go." she said, getting up.

    Carter pouts, "I'm not done..."

    "Thanks for having me over, Ari, Carter." she thanked us.

    "I'll see you tomorrow!" I said.

    "See ya, Kara." Carter teased her before she left.

    "Her name's---"

    "I know, Ari. I just like calling her Kara instead. Like a nickname for her." he said.

    I smiled, "Awww..."

    "Well, I gotta go do my homework and study." he said, getting up.

    "Since when do you study?" I asked him.

    He grinned, "When I'm happy."

    He walks upstairs and I couldn't help but to smile even bigger.

    It's obvious that they like eachother alot.

    And I wish it would stay like that until they get together.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    The next day after school, mom decided to send me over to Derek's house, to "talk" and "make up". I tried convincing her for me to not go because I had a project to work on but she told me I could work on it later and work on my relationship with Derek instead.

    Sounds like what a typical mom would say to me.

    When mom dropped me off at Derek's house, I walked to the front door and knocked.

    Derek's mother answered the door with smile, "Hi, Ariana! It's great to see you again! Come on in, Derek's upstairs right now. He'll be down in a second."

    I stepped inside the house and looked around.

    The inside was nice, a hard wooden floor with exquisite walls.

    Mrs. Arwin leads me into the living room and I took a seat on the couch.

    "Ariana..."

    I turned around and spotted Derek, looking right towards me, surprised.

    "Hi Derek...my mom---"

    "I know, I heard." he said, cutting me off.

    He sits across from me and eyes me suspiciously. We were quiet until Mrs. Arwin comes in from the kitchen with a plate of brownies.

    "Thought I'd wanna put these out for you two." she said.

    "Thank you, Mrs. Arwin." I thanked with a smile.

    "I have to go out to go buy grocery so make yourself at home, Ariana." she tells me and then turns to Derek, "And Derek, please don't do anything crazy while I'm gone."

    Derek scowls, "Sure. Whatever, go."

    Mrs. Arwin sighs in defeat and heads out the door with her bag.

    "I don't think you have to be so rude to your own mom." I told him.

    "She annoys me a lot. I just need some break. I hate it when she bosses me around."

    "But she seems really nice and I bet she cares alot about you."

    "She seems nice because you came here. She's fuckin' bipolar. At one time she's pissed off about me and then when someone comes over or when we're in public, she goes all nice on me."

    "I'm sure she's not that bipolar. Bipolar disorder is a psychiatric diagnosis that describes mood disorders and---"

    "Here goes the smartass talk again." he said, "You don't half to explain what bipolar disorder is, Ari. I'm not stupid."

    "I never said you were stupid. And you could've said that in a nicer way. I don't like your pissed off attitude right now."

    "What? My pissed off attitude?"

    "You shouldn't take your anger out on me, Derek! I just want to start over but you won't let me!"

    "Because I don't want to start over. With you!"

    "Derek---"

    "God, you're acting like my mom! Do you know what I'm saying? You piss me off like my mom does."

    Those words hit me like a large piece of broken glass just stabbed me in my heart. I felt hurt and I wanted to go home.

    "I...I have to go." I said, holding in my tears.

    I got up from the couch and headed towards the door.

    "No, Ari. Wait."

    I turned to him, "Goodbye, Derek. I'll see you in school tomorrow. If you ever want to, anyway." and I closed the door.

----------------------------------------------

Really short chapter, I know. And for the delay. And I'm really sorry for that.

This chapter's really short because another writers' block have hit me.

But some things have happened. Like another fight Derek and Ariana had. I just wanted to show you guys how they're starting to fall apart. Sad, I know. ):

Anyway, thanks for reading once again and remember to vomment!