To Want Something Better Is No Disgrace {2}

"Stay with me, baby stay with me,

Tonight don't leave me alone.

Walk with me, come and walk with me,

To the edge of all we've ever known."

- "Kiss Me Slowly" by Parachute

---------------------------------------

   "All right guys, we have a new student today." announces my art teacher, Ms. Grear.

    All eyes turned to a guy, standing next to her.

    "This is Derek Arwin. He's a new student. So, please make him feel welcome." she continues.

    There a couple of chatting and whispering. Mostly from girls.

    "Alright, Derek. Why don't you sit next to Ariana over here?" Ms. Grear says, walking over to my table.

    Crap.

    I hate handling new people.

    Derek walks over and takes a seat across from me. He flashes me a small smile as I just stared.

    "Hi...I'm Ariana." I finally said.

    "Hey. I'm Derek." he says, "Well, you probably know that by now since she just announced it."

    I soft giggle escaped my lips as he smiled at me.

    "So, where did you come from?" I asked as I took out my sketchpad.

    "From my mother." he says.

    I sat there, confused.

    "Don't worry, I was just kidding. Well, it's true that I did come from my mom but...anyway. I came from L.A." he says with a chuckle.

    "L.A.? That's cool. I heard California's a really nice place to live." I said.

    "It is. But there are some earthquakes." he says.

    "Well, at least you're somewhere safe now." I said.

    "Yeah, I'm relieved about that." he says.

    We were quiet for a while until Derek brought up a question.

    "So...do you have any favorite bands? I know it's a random question but I just want to get to know you better." he says.

    "I may not look like it but I'm into rock bands like Three Days Grace and Linkin Park." I said, smiling, "And don't worry. I kinda want to get to know you better too."

    "Are you serious? Dude, I love those bands. They're pretty cool." he says, "Do you like Panic! At The Disco?"

    "Yeah! Their songs are great!" I said, smiling.

    "I know right?" he says, smiling back, "You know, since we like the same bands, we could become great friends."

    "I think so too." I said.

    "Sorry I'm late, Ms. Grear. I had to go to guidance." says Kerri, coming into the classroom.

    "Alright, Kerri. You're excused. We're working on our assignment right now, so you can take your sketchpad out and start working." Ms. Grear said.

    Kerri nods and walks over to me. Her eyes landed on Derek and smiles.

    "Hey Kerri." I greeted.

    "Hey Ari. And new guy." she says, taking a seat next to me.

    "I'm Derek." Derek says, smiling.

    "Kerri." she replied.

    "So, I'm guessing you two are friends?" he asks.

    "Yup. Best friends." she says.

    "That's cool." he says.

    When 3rd period ended, Kerri headed to her English class as Derek and I walked down the hallway together.

    "What classes do you have?" I asked him as we stopped by my locker.

    "Next I have U.S. History, then French, lunch, bio and algebra 2." he replies.

    "I have lunch 6th period too!" I said, "And we're in the same French class."

    "This is great. I know someone from two classes already." he says, "And lunch."

    "Maybe we can sit together at lunch." I offered.

    "Yeah." he says, giving me a smile.

    "Hey babe." greets Cameron, kissing me.

    He looks at Derek and then back at me.

    "Um hey Cameron," I said, smiling, "This is Derek. He's new here."

    "Oh...hey dude." Cameron says to Derek.

    Derek just smiles and nods.

    "Well, I better head to history. Don't wanna be late on my first day." Derek says.

    "Do you know the way? Because I can take you there." I asked.

    "It's fine. Thanks for offering though, Ari." he says.

    He flashes me another smile and walks off.

    Cameron just looks at me, "He called you Ari."

    "Mhmm." I said, smiling.

    "And you're okay with that?" he asks.

    "Yeah. I don't mind people calling me, Ari. It's like a shorter way to call me Ariana." I said.

    "Isn't it?" he asks.

    "Uh huh." I said and took his hand, "C'mon, let's go to class before we're late."