To Want Something Better Is No Disgrace {14}

"Don't you remember I'm your baby girl?

How could you throw me right out of your world?

So young when the pain had begun,

Now forever afraid of being loved."

- "For The Love Of A Daughter" by Demi Lovato

--------------------------------------------------

    I turned around and almost choked at who I saw.

    "Hey, Ari. Why are you sitting here all alone?" Derek asks me as he took a seat next to me.

    "I..." I trailed off when I glanced back at Fiona who was still glaring at me, "I dunno. I guess I got worn out from all that dancing."

    "But we just got here like 10 minutes ago." he said.

    My face turned lightly red from embarassment, "Oh, well...I mean that---"

    "You just wanted some time alone?" he asks me.

    I nodded, "Yes..."

    "Did Cameron leave you or something?"

    "Oh, not really. He just wanted to hang out with his friends. I just don't want to be too clingy."

    He nodds and smiles, "Oh, okay."

    "So, um...I saw you talking to Fiona. Are you two friends or something?" I asked out of curiousity.

    "I guess you could say that. She just came up to me and started talking to me." he replied, "Well, she is in my Algebra class."

    "Oh..." I said, softly.

    "She's pretty nice. And not to mention, cute too."

    I looked at him, "Oh...she's cute?"

    "Or hot. Either one." he said.

    I frowned, "Oh..."

    "You know, her friends are pretty cute too. But I think Fiona looks cuter in her dress tonight."

    I nodded but something inside of me made me feel...unusual.

    "Are you feeling okay?"

    I snapped out of my train of thoughts and looked at Derek, "Uh, yeah. I'm fine."

    "You look pale. And you sound anxious. Are you sure, you're okay?" he asked.

    "I'm perfectly fine." I said and got up from my seat.

    As I walked towards the table where the drinks were, Derek followed me.

    I grabbed myself a cup of punch and drank a few sips.

    "I'm getting worried. Don't you dare pass out on me though if you're about to." he says.

    "I won't. Don't worry." I said.

    "I kinda am." he says and suddenly, places his hand on my forehead.

    I felt my face heat up and pushed his hand away, "I'm okay."

    "You're starting to get hot---"

    "I'm fine." I said for the millionth time.

    He sighs, "Alright. But when you're feeling sick or anything, just call me over."

    "Thanks, Derek." I said and he walks off.

    I sighed and grabbed another drink.

    As I drank another cup of punch, I felt lightheaded. I placed the cup down and sighed.

    When I was about walk back over to the table, I felt another headache again but this time, more painful.

    I groaned, "The hell?"

    Suddenly, I stumbled backwards and my vision started to blurr.

    I heard people call my name with worry in their voices and I heard some laughing.

    And then, everything went pitch black.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "--na...Ariana...Ariana...Ari..."

    I opened my eyes and in my face was Derek, looking at me worryingly.

    I looked at him, confused and sat up, "Derek? What...What happened?"

    "You passed out." he told me.

    "I...passed out?"

    "Yup. I saw this huge crowd around you so I ran over and carried you over to the Nurse's Office. Mrs. Lyncer let us in." he said.

    "Oh..." I said, softly. I then smiled, "Thank you."

    He smiled back, "So, are you okay?"

    I nodded, "I guess. I don't feel lightheaded anymore."

    "That's good. You scared me there, Ari." he said.

    "I'm not sure why I just dropped like that. Maybe lack of...hydration?" I said.

    "Could be." he said.

    He looks into my eyes and smiled, "You really did scare me, Ariana."

    "I'm sorry..." I said, softly.

    "It's not your fault. You didn't know it was going to happen." he said.

    He continues to look into my eyes, "Ariana..."

    "Yes?" I whispered.

    He slowly leans in, "I..."

    "Ariana!" shouts Cameron.

    Derek and I jumped away from eachother and looked at Cameron.

    He rushes over to me and holds onto my shoulder, "Are you okay? I heard you passed out. Oh god, I got scared!"

    He turns to Derek and gives him a cold look, "What did you do to h---"

    "Derek didn't do anything, Cameron." I said, cutting him off before things start to get out of hand again, "He generously took me here so I could rest and get better."

    Cameron looks at Derek and sighs, "Oh...alright."

    Cam looks back at me and smiles. He gives me a kiss but pulled away when Derek cleared his throat.

    "Sorry, Derek." I apologised.

    "It's fine..." he says and gets up from the chair that he was sitting on, "Well, since Cameron's here to take care of you, I guess I should head back to the gym."

    I nodded, "Okay. Thanks Derek, again."

    He gives me a small smile and leaves the office.

    I looked at Cam and he gives me a hug.

    I hugged him back and sighed.

    Before Cameron bursted in the nurse's office, I thought about what Derek was about to say to me.

    Exactly what did Derek wanted to tell me?