To Want Something Better Is No Disgrace {15}

"And that's why I smile.

It's been a while,

Since every day and everything has

Felt this right.

And now you turn it all around,

And suddenly you're all I need

The reason why I smile."

- "Smile" by Avril Lavigne

-------------------------------------------

    "Guess who got digits?!" Carter shouted happily as we got back into his car, after the dance.

    "You got numbers from girls?" I asked him.

    "Yup. All seven digits per five pieces of paper." he told me as we drove out of the school's parkinglot.

    "Nice, dude." Derek complimented him with a smile.

    "It sure was a great night. How was yours, Ari?" Carter said, glancing at me through the rear view mirror.

    I looked at him, then at Derek and looked down at my lap, "I...um...it was nice."

    "That's good to know." Carter said.

    "Except you passed out." Derek reminded me.

    Carter looks at me in surprise, "You passed out?! When?!"

    "About an hour through the dance. I'm fine, Carter. It's okay." I told him.

    "And no one told me?!" he shouts.

    "Dude, calm down. She was fine." Derek said.

    "Did someone spike your drink?" Carter asks.

    "No...if my drink was spiked, I'm pretty sure I would be hallucinated or something." I said, "I just felt lightheaded so I'm sure the drink wasn't spiked."

    "Okay. Wow...you scared me there, Ariana." Carter said with a sigh.

    "Same here." Derek said, "I was terrified when I saw you on the floor, unconscious."

    "Sorry I scared you guys." I apologised.

    "It's okay, Ari. Things happen." Carter forgives me.

    When we dropped off Derek at his house, Carter and I returned back home, tired from the party.

    "Welcome back, guys. Did you have fun?" Mom asked us right when Carter and I walked inside the house.

    "We sure did." I replied as I made my way towards the stairs.

    "That's great." she said with a smile, "Did you dance with Derrek?"

    I stopped and looked at her, "Um, yeah."

    "Are you starting to like him?" she asks me.

    "I guess he's...alright." I said, "I'm gonna head up to my room, take a shower and go to bed. It was a long night."

    "Oh, okay. 'Night, honey."

    I walked up the stairs and walked into my room. I took a shower and after that, I sat on my bed. I looked at the photo frame of me and Cameron on the table beside my bed. I smiled, sighed and went to bed.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "Ariana! Up, up! Derek's here!"