Chapter Forty-Seven

13 April 2020 - Monday

Burkesville, Kentucky

 “Hello, Angellica?”

 “Hi Michael.”  Angellica smiled.  “How’s things?”

 “Oh, they’re okay.”

 “You don’t sound convinced.”  Angellica sat in her chair.

 “Well, the thing is, I have some news.” He dragged out the sentence.

 “What’s up?”

Michael gave a small cough, “Kathryn’s in a coma.”

 “What?”  Angellica was shocked.  “When did this happen?”

 “This morning.  Her liver is failing.  She’s not expected to wake up.”

Tears dripped down her cheeks.  “But, I only saw her a few days ago, she looked fine.”

 “Yeah, well, we’ve been pretending for quite a while.”

 “Why didn’t you say anything?”

He gave a harsh laugh.  “Because you would have offered to pay for it.”

 “What’s wrong with that?”  Angelica snapped, “I’ve got more than enough, I don’t spend it all by a long shot.  What else am I meant to do?”

 “She’s had enough Angellica; she doesn’t want to be here anymore.”  Michael sounded defeated.

Angellica wiped her face with her sleeve.  “Where are you?”

 “At home.  There’s no point in me being there.”  He said.

 “Can I do anything?”

 “I’d really like a hug.”  He said his voice so small she barely heard him.

 “I’ll be there in 20 minutes.”  She promised.  “Do you want a whisky?”

He laughed, softer this time.  “Actually that’d be great.”

 “Right, hold tight.” 

 “See you soon, oh, Angellica?”

 “Yeah Michael.” 

 “Thank you.”

 “You’re welcome.”  She said sincerely.

Michael hung up the phone.

Angellica found Adam in the T.V. room with the twins.  She beckoned him to come out. 

He followed her and she burst into tears.  “What’s happened?”  He asked, concern etched in his features.

 “Kathryn’s in a coma, I’m going to go out to Michael’s.  He’s not coping very well.  He said it was liver failure.”

 “Oh shit.”  He said against her head.  “You okay to drive?”

She nodded, “Yeah, will get there okay, but probably not home, I might stay there with him.”

Adam nodded.

 “Don’t forget to give Angel his sleeping meds, and you’ll be fine.”

He nodded again, “Give him a hug for me.”  Adam said, “And let him know we’re all thinking of him.”

 “I will, see you later.”  She gave him a kiss, and lingered for a few minutes.

Adam pulled her against him.  “I love you.”  He breathed in her ear.  “More than life itself.”