Chapter Thirty Two

3 July 2010 – Saturday

Burkesville, Kentucky

Three weeks later, Adam and Angellica pored over the photos that had been taken on their wedding day.  Azhure and Lucien were away at Cathi’s for the weekend, doing what young lovers did when alone.  Adam and Angellica were completely aware what has happening between their children, and had already given their permission in not so many words.  They were both aware that Lucien and Azhure would end up marrying.  They just had to wait for Lucien to get organised and build up the confidence to ask her.

Caelum was out with Jewel, looking over the top pastures.  Angellica had finally given him the job of horse master and he had proven himself many times.  Even at only 19 years old, he was patient, careful, and listened.  He was every bit dedicated to his job, and Angellica paid him accordingly.  

Niah was sitting at the bench eating her lunch.  She had two small sandwiches left from the six she had, and was eating as fast as she could so she could look at the photos with her Mum and Dad.  She had adapted well to having her father in her life.  

She had not adjusted well to having to share her mother with another person.  Niah spent more time with Mike and less time with her mother.  Her behaviour had begun to reflect this, and Angellica and Adam put it down to the change.  Prompting Angellica to spend more time with her daughter and Niah had forgiven her accordingly.  Everything was beginning to flow again and she dropped the ignorant attitude.  She had settled and the tantrums seemed to have stopped.

 “This one of Niah is gorgeous.”  Adam said loudly, and the three and a half year old turned suddenly to look at her parents.

 “I have only one left.”  She called.

 “Great, quicker you eat, the quicker you get to see.”  Adam called back.

They sat together laughing quietly while Niah scoffed her last sandwich and dropped down from the stool.  She trotted to the table where the photos were and climbed into Adam’s lap.  

 “This one here.”  Adam said, giving her the photo to hold.

Niah scoffed, “It’s me!”  She squealed.

Angellica laughed, and started to say something, but the doorbell rang, so she got to her feet and went to answer it.

Adam and Niah stayed looking at the photos.

Angellica opened the door with a smile, which quickly disappeared.

 “Hello darling.”  He said.  

 “Damien.”  Angellica replied coldly.

 “I hear you have a new addition in your family.”

She nodded.

 “Don’t you remember what I said to you?”

 “I remember.”  She nodded.

Damien smiled coldly.  “Do you remember what I said would happen if I found him in your life again?”

She nodded again.

 “What did I say?”

 “You would kill him.”

Damien’s smile widened.  “So, why do you think I’m here?”

 “You can try, but as soon as you step through that door, I will shoot you in the back.”

Damien spun to face his son.

 “Caelum, what are you doing?”  Angellica asked.

 “Taking a fucking stand, I’m sick to death of this asshole running our lives.”  Caelum, shifting the shotgun pressed against his shoulder.

Damien turned back to Angellica.  “Are you going to allow this?”

Angellica sighed.  “I shouldn’t, but unfortunately, Caelum seems to have your stubborn streak.  I’m afraid that there’s not much I can do to stop him.”  She folded her arms across her body to hide her shaking hands.

Caelum grinned, “Now, tell me, what is it you are here to do?”  He asked of his father.

 “You forget your place, son.”

 “No, I do not forget my place; my place is to protect my mother and my family.  You are not part of this family any longer and you cannot come here making threats.  I suggest you leave and think carefully on whether you come back here.”

Damien wiped his hand across his eyes.  “You have some cheek boy.”

Caelum shrugged, and kept the gun aimed square at Damien’s chest.  “As do you old man.”

Damien moved past Caelum, and Caelum moved to stand in front of Angellica.  They watched Damien get into his corvette.  

Angellica put her hand on Caelum’s shoulder, and they watched until Damien disappeared from the driveway.  

 “That’s enough.”  Angellica said.

Caelum lowered the shotgun.  “I couldn’t Mum.  I couldn’t let him come here and hurt anyone again, I’m sorry.”

 “Darling, please don’t be sorry for protecting me.”  She pulled him into her arms.  “It was the best thing you could do.”

 “Caelum, what the hell are you doing with a gun?”  Adam demanded from behind them.

Caelum laughed, and held it out for Adam to take.  “Just threatening to kill my father.”  Adam took the gun and Caelum wrapped his arms around his mother.  “He will be back though.”

Angellica nodded, “Very likely.”

 “Why did no one come get me?”  He asked quietly.

Both Angellica and Caelum laughed, Angellica spoke first.  “Because then we would have blood spilt.  He would have attacked you.”

 “Geez, I’m not a child, I can actually defend myself.”  Adam looked hurt.

 “I know that, but it’s not you he has the issue with, it’s me.”  She said.  “Caelum, run into town and get Azhure and Luc from Cathi’s.  Actually, bring her too please.  Let’s just play it safe for a while.”

Caelum nodded, and jogged to his mother’s truck.  He hopped in and started the engine.  “Can I speed?”

Angellica laughed, “Can you pay the ticket?”

He grinned, “Actually, yes I can.”  He laughed and backed away from the house, putting it into first gear; he spun the tyres on the gravel and zoomed down the driveway.

Adam tucked Angellica under his arm, and leaning the shotgun against the wall, he looked down at her.  “I really hope he doesn’t get caught speeding.”

Angellica looked up at him, “Why?”

 “Because he’s likely to tell the officer that he just threatened to shoot his father.  Especially with all the adrenaline running through his body at the moment.”

Angellica covered her face with her hands.  “Why do you have to point out stuff like that?”

Adam laughed.  “Sorry.”

 “Daddy?”  Niah asked from behind them.  “Wow, cool gun.”

Adam and Angellica turned.  “Don’t touch.”  They said in unison, and started laughing again. 

Angellica scooped Niah into her arms, and Adam took the gun.  They closed the door and shut away the world.