Chapter Forty

11 August 2015 - Tuesday

Burkesville, Kentucky

Everyone in the restaurant turned to stare at them as they all sung.

¯ “Happy Birthday to you.” ¯

Adam appropriately turned scarlet as the group finished singing.

Angellica rose from her seat and kissed her husband.  “Happy Birthday darling.”  She murmured in his ear.

 “I hate you right now.”  He said, grinning and kissed her in return.

Azhure also rose to kiss his cheek.  “Thank you for looking after me.”  She said and meant it sincerely.

Adam had spent many hours at her house on protection duty.  Between himself, Lucien and Mike, they had the place covered 24 hours a day.

They had managed to keep her safe for nearly nine months.  Lucien intercepted any letters, which had continued to arrive every few days. 

Azhure had not seen a letter in over eight weeks.  Either she chose to ignore them, or she truly believed he had stopped sending them. 

Azhure moved back to her seat.

The evening continued on and everyone got merrier and merrier.

Caelum and Ella left with Vincent and Brenna early on so the little ones could get some sleep, however it was nearly 10:00pm when Niah voiced that she would like to go home.  Azhure and Lucien said they were ready and they took Niah and Michael back to their place.  Kathryn had not come out with them.  She wasn’t feeling well and had decided it would be best for her to stay home.

Lucy and Gemma left soon after and that left Angellica and Adam sitting in the restaurant alone.

 “Shall we go home?”  He asked, his words came out slightly slurred.

 “I think that would probably be a good idea.”  She looked at the staff standing around.  “They look like they want us to leave.”

Adam laughed.  “Shall I order some more fries?”

Angellica shook her head.  “No, I don’t think so.”  She got out of her seat, looking at the mess on the table.  “Do we clean this up?”

 “Definitely not.”  He snapped and helped her put her jacket on even though the temperature was not overly low.

 “I’ll go pay the bill.”  She said and headed for the staff waiting for her.

Angellica had not drunk so she was able to drive home but had been in a fantastic mood all evening.  She paid for the meals and she helped Adam stumble to the truck.  He was snoring with his face pressed against the window before they got home.

Niah woke from her peaceful slumber.  There were some noisy people downstairs and spent a few moments trying to remember where she was.  She sat up in the different room and realised she was at her sisters’ house. 

She started to lie back down when Azhure gave a loud scream.

Throwing back the covers, she got out of bed, rushed to the bedroom door, and listened.  She recognised Lucien and Azhure.  Michael was there as well, and another man she didn’t recognise.

Niah crept to the top of the stairs and looked over the balcony.  Michael and Lucien were standing between the strange man and Azhure who stood at the bottom of the long staircase that led into the foyer.

 “You better leave.”  Michael warned.  “We will ring the police.”

 “We have unfinished business.”  The man said, staring at Azhure.