Chapter Twenty Nine

16 May 2010 – Sunday

Burkesville, Kentucky

 “You only ever stay here when Dad is here.”  Lucien said to Azhure.

 “Bullshit.”  She said back, “Adam isn’t always here.”  She frowned.

 “Once or twice, you stay when he’s not here.  I always stay at your house.”

 “What’s wrong with that?”  Azhure folded her arms, “I thought you liked staying there.”

Lucien allowed a small smile, “I do like staying there.”

 “Then what’s the issue?”

Lucien turned away.  “I would like you to stay at my house more often.”

 “But the farm is better, there’s more to do.”

 “There’s a heap to do here too.”  He protested.

 “Like what?”  She asked, and then laughed, “Oh, I know, fuck!”

 “We do that at your house.”

 “I know that, what does it matter, whose bed we’re in or what couch we’re on?”

 “It doesn’t.”

 “Then why are you fighting with me about this?”

 “Because you only stay here when Dad is here.”

 “I like him, he’s important to me.”  Azhure said, “He can’t see me at home, so I see him when he’s here.”

 “But why don’t you stay here more often?”

 “Because you’re always at my house!”  She yelled.  “I’m not going to leave you there with my mother.”

 “That’s not my point.”

Azhure groaned and threw her hands in the air.  “I know!”  She turned for the door. “Your point is stupid.”

Lucien didn’t have any words, and Azhure left the room.

He smiled after her.  Even though only four years had passed since they started dating, he felt like they were one in the same.

He knew everything would work out fine.

Azhure went outside and bumped into Adam.  “Can you take me home please?” She blurted.

 “Why?”

 “Because I don’t have my car.”

He laughed, “No, why do you want to go home?”

 “He’s being dumb again.”  She frowned.

Adam sighed and shook his head slowly.  “Did I not actually warn you?”

 “I only want you to take me home please, I don’t need the lecture.”

 “Go get your bag.”  He said, tilting his head at the back door, “I’ll meet you in my truck.”

Azhure grinned; she ducked back into the house and returned a few moments later.  Throwing her bag into the middle, she leapt up into the passenger seat and pulled the door shut.  She started to giggle.

 “The big getaway.”  Adam muttered.

Azhure frowned at him, but he shook his head.  “Have you got everything?”  He asked.

Azhure nodded, “It’s not like I won’t be back, I think we just got under each other’s skin a bit.” 

Adam started the truck and backed out the driveway.  They were a few minutes into the drive before either spoke.