Chapter Forty-One

15 August 2015 - Saturday

Burkesville, Kentucky

The phone rang.

 “I’ll get it.”  Niah said and jumped up from the breakfast bar and ran from the room.

Angellica smiled at Adam.  “Is she expecting a call?”

He shrugged, laughing.  “Since you taught her how to answer the phone properly, she won’t let anyone do it now.”

 “Mum!”  She yelled from the office.  “It’s for you!”

Angellica sighed.  “Well, I certainly didn’t want one.”  She knew it was going to be Damien.

Azhure and Lucien had gone home the day before, when they were sure they felt safe enough.  She had assured her mother that they would lock the doors and keep away from the windows.  Not that it would matter.  If he really wanted in, he would get in.

Lucien was confident he could protect his wife.

The gun Azhure had purchased was now in the foyer of their house next to the front door in a drawer too high for Brenna to reach.

It was loaded at all times waiting.

She got the phone.  Niah hovered at the door.

 “Hello?”

 “Mrs. Delaney?”

 “Tarson please.”

 “Tarson Delaney?”  The voice was confused.

She sighed.  “Angellica Tarson.”

There was a cough.  “My apologies Mrs. Tarson.  I am Senior Detective Carson.  I was wondering if you were going to be home this morning.”

 “Yes, I’m not going anywhere.  What is this about?”

 “We have a few questions we need to ask.  I would much rather talk in person if that’s alright.”

 “What time can I expect you?”

 “I will leave now.  Is your daughter home?”

 “Which one?”

He paused.  “Azhure.”

 “Does she need to be here?”

 “I would prefer it if possible.”

 “I’ll give her a call and ask her to join us.”

 “Thank you very much.”

 “You have the address?”

He laughed.  “Yes.”

 “Wonderful.  See you soon then.”

 “Thank you.”  He hung up.

Angellica put the phone back in the cradle.

 “Who was that?”  Niah asked.

 “A policeman, he’s coming out to ask some questions.”

 “What about?”

Angellica shrugged.  “I don’t know.”

Niah sighed, and walked away to finish her breakfast before she went riding with Lucy.

Angellica picked the phone up and dialled Azhure's number.  She answered on the second ring.  Brenna was laughing in the background.

 “Some Detective is coming out and wants to talk to us.  Can you come down?”