Chapter Thirty

16 May 2010 - Sunday

Burkesville, Kentucky

Adam and Niah climbed the stairs to Angellica’s bedroom.  She chatted incessantly about things she could do.  Showing off her skills and talents.

He verbally nodded and agreed as they walked.

 “I’m nearly four.”  She said as they stopped at the top of the stairs.

Adam looked down at the smaller girl version of himself, and smiled.  His heart softened as he looked down at her tiny face surrounded in the almost white blond hair that had been cut carefully to frame her features.

 “You’re very smart for a three year old.”  He said gently.

Her smile broadened.  She shone with the praise.  “I know, Mummy tells me all the time.”

 “Your Mummy is very smart person too; you must be just like her.”

Niah shook her head, “No, she says I’m just like you.”

Adam laughed.  “That doesn’t surprise me.”  He said.

Niah looked confused.  

 “Don’t worry.”  He shook his head, “Where’s Mum hiding do you think?”

 “In her room.”  Niah pointed, and started walking again.

Adam followed his daughter to the door.

Niah put her hand into his, and looked up, grinning mischievously.  “Can we boo her?”

 “Boo her?”

Niah laughed, “You know, boo.”

 “Give her a fright?”

She nodded, giggling.

Adam shook his head, “Not really, I think me being here will be a fright for her.”

 “But she’s been waiting for you.”

 “I don’t think we should.”  He said solemnly.

She looked disappointed, but nodded in agreement.  She opened the door and led him inside.  “Mummy!”  She called.

 “In the bathroom.”  Angellica called back.

Adam’s heart began to race, and his stomach twisted.

 “Someone is here to see us.”  Niah said in her sweet voice.

 “Who?”

 “Daddy!”  She screamed pushing open the door to the bathroom, dragging Adam in behind her. 

Angellica stood at the vanity, with her hair halfway into a ponytail, her eyes wide and her mouth open.  She looked from Adam to Niah and back to Adam.

 “I found him with Azhure.”  Niah said, jumping up and down on the spot.

 “Wow!”  Angellica dropped her hair and crouched down to Niah.  “I told you that you are the cleverest girl in the world didn’t I?”

Niah nodded, and kissed her mother on the lips.

Angellica scooped her into her arms.  “Niah, darling, can you do me a huge favour?”

 “Yes.”

 “Can you please go find Mike, he’s in the garage, and tell him I said you can have some ice cream.”

Niah threw her hands in the air, “Yay!  Thank you.”

Angellica popped her on the floor and the child ran to her father.  “Ice cream!”  She yelled at him, grabbing his hand, she pulled him down to her and kissed his cheek.  “Bye Daddy.”  She ran from the room screaming out for Mike.