Fifteen: Extendable Ears

Pansy's POV

The library is quiet at nine. Nobody's there, everyone leaves. Me, I come here at nine. It's the only time you can get a book and be in here alone. 

I liked people, but I also liked being alone. 

I scanned the titles of books for the one I needed. We were writing an essay in Herbology and I needed a book  titled "Magical Mediterranean Water-Plants and Their Properties". Neville Longbottom had been reading it in Potions the other day, and I thought it might be useful.

I found the book I was searching for. As I was moving towards Madam Pince's desk to check out my book, I tripped over something and fell down on top of someone.

"Ow." They sucked in their breath. 

"Sorry! I tripped over something, and- sorry." I said awkwardly. 

We stared at eachother. It was a boy my age. He had jet black hair that had been dyed with streaks of red, green, and blue. His hair covered one eye and his smile was crooked. 

"Um, so could you get up now?" He asked me. 

"Oh, right." I said. I got up, totally checking him out as he got up. 

The guy looked emo, but he was really hot. 

"I'm Pansy." I smiled. 

"Hunter." He said. 

I bent down to the ground and picked something up. "This is what I tripped over."

"A tiny bottle of... lotion." He read the label. 

"Wow, that's a first." I said. Me, tripping over something? It wasn't common.

"I know this seems sudden, but do you want to meet me in Hogsmeade tomorrow on the trip?" He asked me. "I really want to know you better."

My smile couldn't have been bigger. "I'd love to!"

"Great, so how about you meet me at the Three Broomsticks? Everybody goes there, so we won't stand out as much." Hunter asked. 

"Sure, I'll see you then." I smiled. 

"Bye." He left the library, leaving me dazed. 

The Hogsmeade trip seemed like ages away. I couldn't sleep at all, I was so excited about meeting Hunter. 

I'd never felt this way about a guy before. With every other guy I'd dated, it was just for show. But with Hunter, I was actually nervous. 

"What should I wear?" I asked Hermione.

"Hmm, I think you should go with that t-shirt and skinny jeans." Hermione told me. 

"Why? Shouldn't I wear this?" I twirled around in my big, fancy red dress.

She smiled. "No, we're going to Hogsmeade. And it's snowing, so it might get messed up."

"You're right." I sighed. "But I don't wanna take off the dress!" I twirled around in it again until Hermione grabbed my shoulders and stopped me. 

"Pansy, you need to change. We're leaving in twenty minutes." She reminded me. 

I stripped off my clothes and changed, right in front of Hermione. Of course she looked away, but we'd been childhood friends, so neither of us cared about it. 

I entered the lavatory and brushed my teeth. Then I brushed my hair and grabbed some gum, to give me fresher breath. I met Hermione in ten minutes.