Seven: The Hospital Wing

Adele's POV

I stayed in the common room, too upset to care about missing lessons. I was still reeling over what had been said in the Great Hall between me and Ron.

Draco wouldn't be stupid and cruel enough to fancy Emily. Okay, that was mean. Emily is one of my best friends. But, still.  I just didn't think they would work out. Sue me!

Hopefully Emily didn't fancy him. Then I smacked myself. I'd totally forgotten that Emily was going to Hogsmeade with Harry, which clearly said she didn't fancy Draco. That was the number one thing you could do to hurt him. 

I clenched my fists. Poor Draco. All because Emily was being insensitive, he was really hurting. I want to help him, but I don't know how. He's so in love with the girl, and she totally broke his heart. Or she will, when he finds out. 

I began to cry. Draco would never fancy me. Emily will marry Harry and they'll have a good life, and Draco will still be heartbroken and never love me. We'll be alone, and never ever be together. 

The portrait door opened, and Kase stepped inside. "Hey, Adele. You alright? You seemed pretty upset in the Great Hall."

I wiped away my tears, and smiled. Kase could always cheer me up, even if he was super annoying all the time. Sometimes, he could be a great friend. 

"I'm fine." I said. 

He smiled sadly. "Adele, we've been friends for a long time. I know you well enough to know when you say that you're fine, you aren't." He sat down beside me on the scarlet sofa. 

I wrapped my arms around him. Kase and I had met in First Year, back in America. We'd hung out all the time, but our parents had never met. We didn't want them to meet because Kase was pureblood and my parents were muggles.

I didn't know if Kase's parents were anything like the Potters, and I'm sure they weren't, but I didn't want them to be disgusted by my parents. Kase's parents both worked for the ministry back in America. My mother was a lawyer, and my dad worked at the zoo. Those weren't very impressive jobs. 

I'd been surprised when Kase had been in Gryffindor. I really thought he would be in Slytherin. Not that he was an arrogant jerk like Harry Potter, but I thought all purebloods went to Slytherin. But, I was glad that he was in Gryffindor with me. When I'd heard that Kase was in Gryffindor, I was thrilled that I wouldn't have to face a whole new house alone. 

"Adele?" He asked me cautiously. 

"Yes?" I mumbled into his chest. 

"Who was Ron talking about in the Hall?" He asked me. 

I froze, and sat up, looking away from Kase. "Oh, nobody. Ron's just gone mad, that's all."

"Adele," He pouted. "I'm your best friend. You can tell me anything."

"But I don't want you to know this." I whispered. 

"Adele," He took my hands, and looked into my eyes. I looked into his eyes, and almost got lost in them. "Tell me who you fancy."

I sighed. "Fine." I know I'm going to regret this later, but I can't keep this a secret for long. Kase is going to find out, and he's going to be furious if it's not from me.

"I like Draco." I said. 

As soon as I said Draco's name, Kase's face darkened. I looked into his eyes. Pure rage, and hurt. He got up and kicked the table. A crystal ball rolled off the table, and smashed into pieces.

"Kase, why are you so angry?" I asked him, worried.  

"You like Draco?" He said Draco's name with distaste.