Part 2 (2/2)

~jack~

I’m not sure what I expected to happen when I added the last member to the pack, securing the power and numbers I know will make our tribe completely safe. I guess I was expecting something to happen, not like a miraculous surge from the heavens or any of that bullshit but a surge of power more than the usual would have been nice. I look up at the moist canopy of the tent roof above me, my eyes trailing the tiny creases that would hardly be noticeable with the human eye. I can’t help the twinge in my gut telling me that maybe it was because it wasn’t the right move or that something might have happened if I had done something else. I brush the thought away. What’s done is done. There’s no going back now. A pack of eleven strong males is something to be reckoned with. Pride surges through me, not just a pack my pack.

A flutter of wings sounds in the distance, deep within the forest surrounding the clearing. It’s always so peaceful out here; it feels like home, so comfortable and familiar. I shift my weight suddenly realising how stiff I’ve become lying in the same position for so long with the hard earth grazing my back through the tent floor. What? I shift and brush my hands along with ground around me finding it empty of my sleeping mat. Figures. I stretch my limbs and heave myself into a sitting position, finally bothering to look around at the others, most of whom are in their wolf form still but are sleeping all the same.

I push myself to my feet and grab some fresh clothes, pulling them on before exiting the tent and walking out into the crisp early morning air. It’s early enough that no one else will be up and I can get some time alone to think. The sun is low in the sky, its rays scattering through the limbs of many ancient trees giving the forest a warm glow. Last night had been incredible. Images of the darkened forest flash through my mind followed by the deep masculine hunting howl that had reverberated through the night air as we began the hunt. The memory of my blood turning cold for a moment just as the howl began rocks though me. Forget it. It’s nothing. I shake my head to loosen the memory’s hold on me. It’s nothing. I find myself growling aloud in the effort to get rid of that moment in my mind. Thankfully it dissipates.

Luke has made a good addition to the pack. We were all weary at one point but it seems to have been unnecessary. He’s almost as much pure muscle as Mitch and his movements are very trained, well at least they were before he became one of us. His personality suits his new instinctual behaviour which would be a worry if he was apposing us but instead the other side get to face his pent up anger. Poor fuckers won’t know what hit them.