Part 4

~Erin~

My ears prick as soft footfall sound from the grove in which I found the tree I now rest under. I don’t uncurl and instead choose to ignore the obvious presence of the blue-eyed Alpha of whom I had fled from before. Normally I would never admit to it, I am Erin Daniels, I don’t flee from anything but this is different... everyone has their breaking point. It’s not like I was going to curl into a ball and wait for them to close me in like a scared little girl. The footsteps keep coming closer, he can probably sense me anyway and what difference does it make? There is no where I can go.

“Erin” his rich voice calls, worry pulsing from his direction. I ignore his call and instead continue to lie here curled in on myself. “Rin” he sighs now finding his way under the tree roots. I can feel his eyes trained on my back but I ignore him. “I know you don’t want to see me but just listen for a moment” he pleads and I hear him shift himself so he is closer to the ground, probably sitting down against one of the arched roots. I twitch my ear in acceptance “We’ve been together for three months, but we’ve been destined to be in the same pack since you arrived when you were a little girl. We weren’t close at a young age but we were friends, eventually I joined the pack, prematurely when I was about fourteen and became Alpha... before I was of age. Almost two years ago you finally joined. It was difficult at first with your power and obvious Alpha dominance but we figured it out. You became the heart of the pack in a way...” he pauses as if recalling a fond memory. “You fit in easily and soon became as close to us as we were already with one another. You have always been off bounds to us by your choice until a few months ago when you finally agreed to go out with me.” The sincerity in his voice shocked me, its true then? I don’t know what’s worse; knowing I have a boyfriend and yet not recalling having one or having to tell him I feel nothing towards him.

“We can take things slow but I don’t want to lose you.” That did it, shivers rack my body and I begin to shake again. I can’t even... why? Suddenly I feel his presence nearer to me, but he wouldn’t dare touch me in this form... even a weak Werewolf has been known to snap from the touch of human hands. “Change back” he pleads and I feel the plea tug at me. I’m hurting him. Why am I hurting him? I give in to the impulse and feel myself shift so that I am curled onto the ground, my arms pulling my legs closer to my body. I sit up, tears spilling down my cheeks and automatically smooth the shirt that has appeared back on my body.

Suddenly warm arms are around me and I find myself pulled into a strong embrace. I let my head fall onto his hard chest and bury my face in his shirt. Part of me is anxious to the embrace from someone who seems to be a stranger but I’ll have to get used to trusting him. I bury my face deeper into his shirt as sobs rack through my body. He pulls my legs so they are draped over one of his and I realise I must be sat between his legs, but the position doesn’t bother me. He holds me close and I breathe in his musty scent wondering how many times I had done the same thing before. I can’t imagine being a very fluffy girlfriend... eck not at all so this is probably a rarity. 

Sobs continue to rack through me endlessly contorting my sense of time and place though I am faintly aware of his warm hands tracing circles on my back. My senses blur even more and the last thing I remember is being heaved up out of my sleeping position and into the air.

I wake to the feel of warm sheets wrapped around me, much more comfortable than the ones at the hospital. How did I get here? I search back and can’t help the small smile from taking over my lips as I find I have a memory intact. Cole must have brought me here. I fell asleep. I blink open my eyes and find myself staring at a blank, deep red wall only centimetres away from my face. A familiar scent comes rushing at me and I inhale the sheets... they smell of me? Where am I?