Chapter 17

Amira was so tired she felt ready to sleep where she was. They had been travelling on foot for days and it was taking its toll. It was nearly night and they needed to find somewhere safe to sleep but so far there had been nothing. For the first time Amira started to worry about what would happen if they were caught. She couldnt imagine the torture Claire and Chelsea would be subjected to and she knew it was her job to keep that from happening.

"Amira!" Charlottes voice was full of panic.

Turning around Amira saw a group of horses coming up behind them. The riders wore the uniform of the queens guard. At the moment they were far enough away to not recognise them but they would soon catch up and there was no where to hide.

"What do we do? Amira asked.

Charlotte picked Emily up and stood on the side nearest the horses. "You three dont let them see your faces and dont look suspicious." She ordered Amira, Claire and Chelsea.

Amira huddled in to Claire and Chelsea trying to look deep in conversation. She held her breath as the guards drew level with them.

"Good evening" one of the guards called.

"Good evening Charlotte replied.

"We're looking for some runaway slaves have you seen them? The guard said showing Charlotte a picture of Claire and Chelsea.

"No sir I havent but if I do I will inform you straight away."

"Very well have a good journey." The guard said but he sounded suspicious as he glanced back towards them.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the very short chapter and the delay in posting Ive had a lot on.

Will try and update soon.