Chapter 14

Charlottes visit lasted several weeks and Amira started to really admire her. Hearing her story and all she had been through Amira admired the confudent, friendly girl she had grown into. Claires confidence was slowly starting to grow although she still stared at the floor whenever someone looked at her. Emily on the other hand was petrified still and would only speak to Claire when noone was looking. This worried Amira as the journey they were about to set out on would be dangerous and she needed Emily to trust her.

Claire really liked Charlotte and hearing stories of the free lands and brought back her memories of a happy childhood before slavery. She was excited at the prospect of living there once more and giving Emily back her childhood.

One morning as Claire and Charlotte were seeing to the horses Amira decided to try talking to Emily. She went into the bedroom where Emily was just getting up and spoke her name softly. The reaction startled her, Emily threw herself at Amiras feet and trembling answered "yes mistress"

Amira lowered herself to Emilys level and gently stroked her head. "Emily, you are not a slave anymore, noone is going to hurt you again and you dont need to be scared"

Emily didnt move from her place on the floor other than to cower as if expecting Amira to hit her. Sadly Amira left the room not sure how they would proceed.

Finally the day came for them to leave. As they would be traveling through towns they decided to leave the horses so they wouldnt draw attention to themselves. Amira had been out the day before and brought shoes for the three slaves aswell as clothing that would cover the cuffs that were still fastened to Claires arms. Only the Queen would be able to remove them.

George watched the girls leave with a lump in his throat. He hoped and prayed they would be ok but what they were doing was so risky. Charlotte and Emily would be safe they both had papers that stated they were free so noone could legally touch them. He dreaded what would happen to Claire if the Queen ever got her hands on her again. Queen Herishna was furious that the slave had dissapeared from the cells and Claire would not stand a chance if she was discovered. Chelsea was also a runaway slave who would be severly punished if she was caught. Then there was the brave little princess who was risking her own life to get her friends to safety. The fate that would await her if she was caught was far worse than anything the slaves would endure. Stealing a slave was the worst crime that could be commited in these lands. Geoffery felt a tear run down his cheek. "Please let them be ok he said under his breath"