Chapter11

Chapter 11

Amira flew into her bedroom and stopped when she saw Chelsea doing the work. Her worst fears were confirmed when she saw Chelseas face. She hugged the older slave and cried uncontrollably. She had taken Aralia on a short trail through the woods and then headed back to the castle pretending that she hadn't noticed her sister following. Once she had calmed herself down she knew she needed to leave with Claire that night. This time Chelsea agreed she told Amira how brave Claire had been under torture and that she hadn't given Amira away. "come with us" Amira said

"what"

"come with us! My mother might come after you once she realises"

Chelsea was a little worried at first but the thought of staying with Amira and possibly seeing Atalia again was too good so she jumped up and hugged Amira.

Amira once again found herself creeping down to the dungeons in the dead of the night. She reached Claires cell and could not believe the site. Claire was lying face down on the floor of the cell completly naked. Her body was bruised all over and she had a gash in her side. Amira let herself in and bent down to Claire. Thank goodness she's still breathing she thought to herself. Claire looked up weakly and tried to smile at Amira. Amira took some clothes out of the rucksack she had packed and dressed Claire. She helped her up and together they slowly walked out of the dungeons with Amira supporting Claires weight. Once outside Chelsea stood holding Storm and Ice. It was a struggle to get Claire into Storms saddle and Amira climbed up behind to make sure Claire didn't fall. Chelsea got up on ice and together they left the castle.

It was after midnight and the woods would have been frightening had it not been for the fact Amira was terrified for her life and the lives of the slaves. The guards who checked on the slaves in the cells would notice Claire missing in a couple of hours. They couldn't ride any faster as Claire was in so much pain.

"We need to find somewhere to hide where Claire can recover" Amira said.

"There used to be an old hermit in a cottage in the woods. When I was first taken to your family I was sent on errands and he pitied me and gave me food. If he is still alive he may hide us" Chelsea suggested.

They decided it was their only chance so headed in that direction. It took several hours before they reached the hermits cottage and it was dark inside. Amira knocked loudly on the door and after a few minutes an old man appeared at the door wearing pyjamas and a wooly hat. At first he was angry for the intrusion in the night but when Chelsea explained the situation he took pity and invited them in. Amira stayed outside and unsaddled the horses, the old man had an outhouse and she managed to make them comfortable in there.

When she went into the cottage the old man had found some first aid supplies and Chelsea had cleaned and dressed Claires wounds. The old man said it looked like she had fractured some ribs and it would be a few weeks before Claire would be able to travel. They decided to stay with the old man untill Claire was well and in the meantime Amira could go searching for the entrance to the free world.