xiii. Insulting Other Writer's Works

JSJC381’s Comment Regarding Post:

ix. Oh No You Didn’t…Just UnFollow Me!

…I went through my list this week and unfollowed a few people for a reason I thought was valid.  Two of them left a mean message on a writer’s story.  Sorry I just can't follow people like that.  I don't agree with this type of behavior…

I also deleted their books although their stories were really, really good.  I just can't support writers that bring other writers down.  It is totally against what I stand for.

A/N:

I am in Full Agreement with Every Word of JSJC381’s comment…this has happened to me Once so far.

A member made the comment “Soooooooo Boring” on my Love Letters piece.  I decided to visit her page to have a look and I discovered that she made a similar comment on another writer’s work, “So Boring”.  Her profile stated that she was 18 and honestly I found that hard to believe, as I expect an 18 year to know better…though, it is possible I might be expecting too much of them.

I then visited the writer of the “So Boring” work, read part of it, and found the writer to not be boring after all.  I figured the other writer had not yet seen the insult on their work, so I included the other writer’s user name and the name of the work in this PM I later sent to her:

I noticed you didn’t like Lover Letters and (other writer’s user name + title of the work). And that is fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  I also see that you just joined the website...Welcome:) and I have some friendly advice for you--

If you don’t have something nice to say about someone's work or you're not offering constructive criticism, it is best NOT to say anything at all.  You will want US to read and or help you with your work at some point, so insulting us with negative comments about our work is not the best way to make an impression.  “Word” gets around on the site and no one is going to want to read your work or help you improve upon it if they feel you will insult their work, so if you don’t like something someone wrote that’s okay just say nothing and move on…

She later responded with an apology and claimed she didn’t know.  She seemed to be more interested in getting reads and votes quickly instead of trying to EARN reads and votes from legitimate readers and writers.  Can you imagine how many similar comments she might have made on other writer's works…how many potential reads and votes as well as advice she just lost during that 30 day time frame before she came across someone who was more than willing to tell her better?

So…Pick your words wisely and THINK Twice before you post them.  If what you say about another writer's work comes across as an INSULT , you are undoubtedly SHOOTING YOUR OWNSELF IN THE FOOT whether you Realize it at the time or not!

And for the Record...I do NOT believe she "didn't know" any better!!  I believe she meant to be Insulting on Purpose.  ECole789.

Duplication Not Allowed Without Permission.