Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Katniss' POV

I dazed off into my own little world as my stylists rushed trying to prepare my hair and nails for the victors tour.

In my world, there was no starvation, no pain or grief, no hunger games, no rebellion of any sort, no president snow...

"Ouch!" my Thoughts were interrupted.

"Sorry Katniss...." Flavius apologized while brushing my tangled locks.

"It's...fine..." I grumbled.

"geez Katniss. You were gone for a few weeks and we come back and your a mess again! You look just like you did when we first met you." Venia whined.

"Thanks....I feel so much better now." I said sarcastically.

"Don't listen to her katniss, she doesn't know what she's saying. You're as beautiful as ever!" Octavia said cheerfully. "Once we're done with her." Venia muttered. She then received a death glare from Octavia and Flavius. I couldn't help but laugh.

"There! hair done!" Flavius exclaimed.

"Voilà! Nails done!" Octavia said.

"Face...almost done." Venia said.

"OW! Venia!!!" I screamed as she waxed both my eyebrows...without warning. She giggled.

"Now you're ready to go see Cinna." Flavius said as he shooed me out of the makeup section.

I took the quick 10 stepped walk to Cinna's location. "Katniss....you look wonderful." he said as he dug through the closet. He held up the outfit in relief. "Thought I lost it.."

I smirked and sat in a nearby chair. "Well your outfit of course corresponds with Peeta's and its pretty simple."

I nodded and stood in front of the dressing area as he slid the outfit out of the bag. It was simple...but pretty. I stripped down and he carefully slid the suit on. "there....now take this." he said as he handed me a scarf. I look confused but wrapped it around my neck. "Thank you Cinna." I say giving him a quick hug.

"Your welcome...now go on. Have a good time."

I smiled and walked out into the next cart where we would be meeting. My boots clicked on the hardwood until I reached the door,which I opened to find Peeta,Haymitch, and Effie.

"Katniss! What took so long?! You may have messed up half,if not all, of our schedule." Effie scolded. I rolled my eyes and walked to stand next to Peeta. "Eff, give the kid a break....how long does it take you to get ready?" Haymitch defended.

"That isn't important at the time...haymitch." Effie scoffed. "Come come. District 11 is waiting." I followed Effie outside and reached for Peeta's hand as we walked to the reaping stage in 11. "It's my pleasure to present this year's victors of the 74th annual hunger games. Peeta Mellark and Katniss Everdeen!" Effie exclaimed into the mic. That was our cue. As we walked on we heard cheers from every direction. I smiled as I looked at the crowd but froze when I saw familiar faces; Rue's family. They all looked like her, or she looked like them is a better way of putting it.

Peeta began reading his card.

"Thank you all. It's an honor to stand on this stage in front of you all."

I began;

"Many people wonder how we won. 12 has had a reputation for being weak. Well, it was hope and trust that kept us alive."

This is so cheesy.....

"We want to say a prayer to the families of the fallen tributes, Rue and Thresh."

I put my card in my pocket and add to Peeta's sentence.

"I didn't know Thresh well, but I knew him well enough to know he had mercy. He could've killed me....but he let me go. As for Rue, she was an ally, a friend, and she felt like a sister. She taught me so much....It kills me to know her life ended so quickly." Tears ran down the families' faces. I looked to Peeta and smiled. "Thank you." we said.

We turned to leave but not before hearing the four note melody that I knew so well. I turned back around to see everyone holding up three fingers like I did as goodbye to Rue.I smiled but my smile was wiped off my face when peacekeepers charged into the crowd grabbing the man who started it. Peacekeepers dragged me out. I was frozen in my tracks. "NO! Stop!!!!" I sobbed as I watched the elderly man be beaten by the peacekeepers. Haymitch, Effie,and Peeta ran over to a now hysterically sobbing me. I leaned against the wall for support.

"Katniss...it's alright." Peeta says in a hushed voice as he hugged me gently. "No....I killed that man and others! I can't do this anymore!!!"

"Sweetheart, it wasn't directly you..and I'm sorry to tell you that reality hurts. This is your life now." Haymitch says.

I freeze. He was right.

I slide down the wall and curl into a ball on the floor crying into my hands. I heard Haymitch sigh heavily. "Your making a scene." he huffed. I lifted my tearstained face. "Oh, I'm causing a scene! Thought it wasn't 'directly me'" I said mocking his words. He pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed again. Peeta looked at me with a worried expression. Effie stood there motionless. "The train is leaving soon. Come on." Peeta said helping me up. He gave me a quick hug before we walked back to the station.

We hopped on the train and began the routine again. "I'm not hungry...I'll be in my room." I said denying the yummy food. "Katniss dear, please eat." Effie finally spoke. "I will....later." And that was all I said before walking to my suite.

----------