Chapter Fifty-Five:

After returning safely back to America and campaigning through San Francisco, the Kennedys were informed of some Press people at the White House that wanted them to discuss and answer questions about their trip. Jackie audibly groaned. Not only was she exhausted but she wanted to see Blair and her other children; talking to the "harpies" was the last thing she wanted to do.

"What's the matter, Kid?" Jack grinned at her as they walked to the Red Room. 

"Is it not obvious?" Jackie replied, ruffling her bangs.

He bumped her with his shoulder and answered with understanding, "Yeah I know; but, on the bright side, after this you'll have the whole week to yourself. I think..."

Jackie rolled her eyes, a small smile gracing her lips, "Thanks, Jack."

The Press's questioning seemed to last longer than their trip as a whole but it felt good to have that last thing out of the way so Jackie could just do what she wanted this week and relax. That week, however, quickly flew by; then September went by even faster, and, before they knew it, it was October and soon Halloween would be right around the corner.

~*~*~*~*~

October 15th, 1964:

Jack was sitting alone in his office, just leaning back and staring off into space. He was worried...more worried than he has been in quite some time. For a while it seemed like peace was getting closer and closer, especially with yesterday being the day Martin King was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. He remembered how he and King had talked about how that day was marking a turn. Civil issues were getting better. They weren't moving as fast as King would've liked and they are certainly nowhere near perfect, but they are getting better. And now today...Jack was worried that peace would fall through the cracks and people would once again struggle to pull it back up.

He found his eyes wandering back down to the document Bobby had given him earlier: Nikita Khrushchev is forced to resign as leader of the Soviet Union and is replaced by Leonid Brezhnev.

Jack let out a pained sigh as he rested his forehead against the back of his hand; he had no idea what to think, 'Who is this Leonid Brezhnev? What kind of a person is he? Would he try to bring nuclear testing to a whole new level without regard to the treaty? Would he try to use Cuba as a strategic base? Would peace be his main ideal or war?'