Chapter Thirty-Four:

June 2nd, 1964 ~ Chicago, Illinois ~ 11:30 P.M.:

"How's the windy city?" Jackie laughed over the phone she cradled between her jaw and shoulder as she combed Caroline's hair.

"Windy," Jack teased on the other end with a chuckle of his own.  Jackie laughed on the other end as Jack walked over to his hotel room window to look out at the city lights of Chicago as they turned the black sky gold. "I wish you were here, though; I miss you."

"It's only been two days," Jackie chuckled lightly but added with a soft smile, "But I miss you too."

As she set the brush aside and began to braid her daughter's hair, Jack continued, "The view is incredible...they put me on the 30th floor of this hotel and it's just amazing,"

"We'll need to make a trip sometime next year or something...just the two of us," Jackie suggested, her voice mischievous.

"Oh should we now?" Jack smirked just as Jackie finished Caroline's hair.

Turning around to face her mother, Caroline asked sweetly, "May I talk to Daddy?"

"Of course, Darling," Jackie smiled before handing her the phone.

"Hello?" Caroline said into the phone after carefully taking it.

"Hey, Buttons," Jack returned happily. "What did you do today?"

"Oh...just went to school then rode Macaroni....Mom just finished braiding my hair. Nothing too exciting...when will I get to go places with you like Mom does?"

"Soon," Jack smiled.

"Good! 'Cuz in school I learned about the different cool places in our country and now I want to go everywhere!" Caroline grinned.

"One step at a time, Caroline," Jack chuckled.