Chapter Twenty-Six:

Lyndon was sitting in his office when he got a phone call. Picking up the phone, he answered, "Hello? Lyndon Johnson."

The Special Agent in Charge (SAIC), Gerald Behn, replied on the other end in a gruff voice, "Mr. Vice President, Sir. I don't know if you've heard or not, but the President and First Lady are missing. Their driver was found dead in an alley behind the main ballroom they had dined at in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. We don't know who was driving, but he resembled Rodger, the driver, almost to a T and drove off with the President and Mrs. Kennedy before Mrs. Kennedy's agent Clint Hill was even in the passenger seat.

We followed very close, Clint fit to be tied, for about 40 minutes when their car suddenly took off down these winding back roads and highways and the snow storm was picking up sudden fierce. We lost them in the blizzard and sent in reports to the police and everything. Within the next half hour we heard from Milwaukee that Rodger's body was found. We are prepared for the worst, Mr. Vice President. You are in charge until the President is found."

Lyndon felt like he was struck across the face and replied in shock, "Very well, Mr. Behn. Thank-you."

"Thank-you, Sir."

Once Lyndon hung up the phone, he sat back in his chair and began twiddling his thumbs as he began to think. This was all so unexpected...but...

'I'm in charge now.'

He struggled to keep from smiling as his ambition and a small amount of satisfaction began to overtake his mind. He didn't like Jack or his brother...he saw them as nothing but a couple of stuck up rich kids. And as far as Jackie...he couldn't figure out how such a pretty little thing like her, with such a brilliant mind, would be stupid enough to stick with the likes of Jack Kennedy.

But then another side began to emerge. Overall, the Kennedy administration has been doing good for this country. Lyndon was sure he could do better, but now wasn't the time to show what he could do. He had to help find the President and First Lady; otherwise why kind of a VP would he look like? So, pushing aside his blood-thirsty ambition, he picked up the phone and began to make some calls.

~*~*~*~*~

"I can't feel my toes," Jackie mumbled so quietly Jack struggled to hear her even though her mouth was right by his ear, her cold breath blowing through the air and ruffling his hair.

They were now lying down on their sides, Jack pushing Jackie into the backs of the seats to try and use the soft material as some small fight against the cold air.