Chapter Forty-Three:

Bobby burst into the Oval without knocking and found Jackie standing in front of Jack's desk, holding his hands.

"Bad time, Jack?" Bobby asked as his brother and Jackie turned to look at him.

"No, we're just finished, Bobby," Jack told him before turning his entire attention to Jackie and saying gently, "I'll come up soon, Jacqueline."

She nodded and left silently, closing the door.

"How's she holding up?" Bobby asked, taking a seat in front of Jack.

"She's a strong woman...just shocked. She'll be alright but I'm glad she came back from Brambletyde."

Bobby nodded before getting down to business, "Anyway, I just got off the phone with Sam..."

"What did he tell you?" Jack asked curiously.

"A lot actually. I'm pretty surprised but...I needed to make a deal with him in order to make him spill..."

"What kind of a deal?" Jack questioned, sensing his brother's uneasiness.

"It was the only way he would talk...he said in exchange for the information we wanted, and possibly Oswald himself, we can't arrest Sam or any of his mob members for being involved with a plan to assassinate you. Actually they have abandoned the entire plan all together now; they want nothing more to do with it."

Jack appeared very skeptical, causing Bobby to add, "I'm quite sure they're serious about that because they admitted everything regarding it to me; the whole plan. They're even willing to capture Oswald for us...that is if he comes to them; they won't go hunting for him themselves."

Jack seemed to relax at that and motioned for Bobby to proceed.

"According to Sam, Lyndon first contacted him in August of '63. He said that Lyndon wanted to assassinate you but wanted help. They decided they would attempt to assassinate you on your campaign trip in Texas. Wanting to cover their tracks they called up Oswald and planned to just have him be a scapegoat for them. But for some reason, even with everything set up for the 22nd, Lyndon didn't give them the go-ahead to assassinate you."