Chapter 47

My heart started racing, as I quietly entered the apartment. She was standing in the kitchen, her back was turned to me. Aaron was standing on the opposite of her, his glance was steely. He didn't look at me, he probably didn't even see me. I took another step forward and entered the kitchen.
I took a close look at her. Her clothes were hanging down, she was so thin, that the clothes she was wearing looked like huge blankets just wrapped around her body. I looked at her hand, it was shaking, just like the gun in it.
The blood started rushing through my veins again and I took another step forward. She turned to me, her eyes were tired, they seemed cold and dead. I could see her cheek bones and the purple shadows under her eyes were a contrast to her grey skin.
"Leave him alone.", I said and took another step forward. She smiled a weak smile, showing her yellow teeth. "I doubt I will.", she said. Her voice was broken and harsh. "I said leave him alone." My voice was as cold as ice. "This is a thing between you and me. Aaron has nothing to do with it." Aaron looked at me. I could clearly see the fear and enormous panic in his eyes. "Leave now. We both know that nothing was my fault. You were the one who started doing this. You were the reason, why dad cheated on you. You started taking drugs, you started drinking. You ruined your life. This is only your fault. I did nothing wrong, you are the only one to blame.", I said, surprised about my own words.
Her eyes widened a bit, she started shaking more and more as I spoke. "Scarlett.", Aaron whispered behind her. She ignored him, she lifted her hand and pointed the gun at me. "This is your fault.", she hissed. "You are the one to blame." Aaron made a huge step forward, but I lifted my hand a bit to stop him.
If she'd hurt him, I could never forgive myself. If she would hurt my twins, I knew I couldn't go on. But if she would hurt me... if they would stay safe...
"You little slut ruined my life since the day I found out about you! Your father never wanted to have kids. Neither did I. But then you little hussy appeared and ruined everything. And now I will make you pay.", she whispered, although her voice was strong enough to make it sound frightening. Again a weak smile appeared on her lips.
"You should feel the same pain I did.", she said and turned to Aaron.
I held my breath and everything happened too fast to realize what really happened.
A move, a scream and a shot...