Chapter 38

Alarm was ringing but it felt like i was not able to move my body. My body was not reacting to the commands of my brain. My head also felt heavy. I want to wake up, but i was not able to even open my eyes. The alarm was silenced. I felt relieved and slipped back to sleep again.

I felt someone was shaking me, then i heard a voice.

"nandini, nandini, jaan.." it was manik calling me. there was panic in his voice. I need to open my eyes to know what has happened. Finally i managed to open my eyes with a lot of force. I saw manik sitting on the edge of the bed beside me. He looked all ready in his office wear. I riveted my eyes to the wall clock , it said 10 a.m. and my eyes widened in shock. I focussed back on manik's face. He seemed relieved by looking at me. i tried to get up , but my body felt very heavy. Manik helped me sit back with the support of the bed head and arranged cushions to support my back.

"i am sorry , i slept till so late" i apologised but my voice sounded alien to me. it was thick due to the heavy sleep.

"nandini you don't need to apologise for these things ok..but definitely i got worried when you were not responding to me. in the morning when you didn't wake up , i thought you are tired but you were sleeping till now, that was unusual , so i thought of waking you up...but it felt like you had fainted...i think you are not well, i will call a doctor" he said and got up to dial number.

"manik, listen na..please...i am a little tired that's it. Thora araam karungi..toh i will feel better...don't call the doctor" i tried to prevent him from calling the doctor, but he paid no heed.

"hello Dr anjana..yeah its manik here"
"can you plz come to my home, right now?"

"no, nothing like emergency , just a general check up"

"ok i am waiting"

"yeah ok thanks bye"

He hung up and turned to me "she will be here in 30 minutes. Till then you freshen up , ok..sweetheart , come i will help you?" he spoke in a sugar coated tone because he knew i was annoyed. I wasn't looking in his direction. He moved forward to come to me...but we heard a knock on the door and he moved to open it, while i crossed my arms near my chest, sitting on the bed.

"mom, mukti, aap yaha? Sab thk h?" i heard manik ask, before maa and mukti appeared before me answering "haan, you both didn't turn up for breakfast, so i thought of checking if everything is fine" maa replied.

i tried to get up from the bed but we all froze on our respective places hearing manik's loud voice "nandini , wait!!" seeing our horrified and confused faces , he composed himself and said a little politely " i mean, i am coming to help you , don't get up on your own"

"what happened beta? You are not well?" maa asked concerned nd came forward to check my forehead. Mukti too followed.

"your body is a little warm" maa said
"bhai , did you call the doctor?" mukti asked and manik nodded.

"i will just get her freshen up before doctor comes" maa informed and i got up with the help of manik. I was in control of myself , so i asked him to leave me. he obeyed but reluctantly. Maa asked me to freshen up without locking the washroom door. It felt so embarrassing, yet i obeyed. Manik and mukti kept calling out after every 5 minutes "nandini , tum thk ho?" and i kept answering in a yes till i came out of the washroom.

Soon the doctor arrived and checked me thoroughly. She even checked my stomach for any sign of pregnancy.

And i saw maa's face glowing in anticipation, while mukti and manik were oblivious to the meanings of the check up. They just kept a tensed expression and kept scanning my face and expressions.

Manan FF- Arranged marriage (✔)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें