Chapter thirteen

Please excuse all misspellings and grammer mistakes
                        Hazel3
The cart was uncomfortable and was becoming unbearable to ride in. When finally we stopped I sighed in relief. I would much rather be on a horse. I held Carrick as Verena stepped out of the cart. He reached his arms out making baby sounds. I smiled As brodden took him from me. Argyll made a funny face at him as did Blayne. What surprised me was Adair taking Carrick and holding him his self. "It's cute the way they handle him." Roxy spoke as she watched Argyll. I nodded in agreement. Adair stood to the side handing Verena Carrick back to her. I watched the exchange noting how Adair watched Verena as she walked away. "Have you notice Adair.." roxy crossed her arms looking over at me. "Watches Verena like she's his last meal." I laughed but what she said was true. We helped set up camp and settled in for the night. The moon was full giving off bright silvery light. It gave everything a eerie creepy sense to it. All three of us jumped when we heard a loud screech in the woods. The men looked into the darkness searching for any type of threat. It soon came to light when three men stepped through the trees. One had blood covering his face. "We are eating quite well tonight brothers. The clan didn't lie to us." I stood slowly my bow in hand. The one on the right smiled showing his fangs."Your arrows won't work." I cocked my head to the side as I raised it up. "All wooden, I wonder if all the myths are true.
Will you turn into dust if I hit you in the heart?" All three snarled at me but didn't come further into the fire light. "Sorcha..." Brodden growled out at me. Warning me to watch myself around these things. I stood in the brightest light the fire offered. not moving toward or away from them. on of them looked toward Verena a smile curling it's way on it red stained teeth. "the terrified ones are always sweeter. Bring me the newly turned." he never took his eyes off of Verena as he spoke. my stomach dropped as two more vampires came out of the woods. holding a man between them. they dropped him into a heap on the ground. He pushed himself up and couldn't help my gasp of surprise. It was the same man from the hall when we first arrived. He sniffed the air much like a dog would and he faced Verena. she held Carrick closer to her chest putting a hand over his head. Roxy went to move and was stopped by Argyll. all the men had grim looks over their faces. I looked up in time to see Blayne pull Verena behind him. drawing the attention of the Vampires to himself. "Brodden what do we do?" panic seeped into my voice. there was seven vampires in front of us. I would be stupid to not be afraid. I choked on a scream as the one that the Vampires dropped lunged into the light. his eyes were red and held hunger in them. "The Grahams will be pleased with this one. His blood lust is something to be proud of." everything in me went cold as ice. The Grahams were apart of this. I was pulled by my own thoughts when there was screech and scream intermingled with each other. Blayne had pushed Verena as the Vampire finally pounced on them. Both Vampire and Blayne landed in a heap on the ground. The vampire screeching in angony. In all the confusion no one seen him grab a sharp stick from the fire. He had lodged it into the Vampires side. Causing it's skin to catch fire. The vampire rolled off him giving Blayne the chance to get up. as he went to help Verena up the Vampire grabbed his leg pulling him down. Blayne kicked out and struck it in the face. Struggling to get the thing off him. I ran toward him having every intention to help him. Instead I had to drop my bow as Verena practically threw Carrick at me. She lunged out grabing Blayne by the arm. Her and the Vampire ended up locked into some kind of sick and twisted tug of war. Verena choking back her sobs as she pulled with everything she had. I turned my head to get Brodden only to see him in the middle of a battle also. Roxy ran over to me tears briming her eyes. "what do we do!" We looked between everyone the sound of battle and Carricks cries ringing in our ears. I didn't know what to do. Hearing Verena yell out in pain, and then screaming for Blayne. Had me looking her way, causing my eyes to widden in terror. Verena was on the ground her arm at a weird angle as the Vampire hauled away Blayne. It's laugh sounding like nails on a chalk board. Roxy jerked Carrick from me. "Go Sorcha." I didn't need anymore incourgement. I started shooting off arrows. I knew it was to late though. it was to dark and the shadows of the forest swallowed both Blayne and the Vampire. Huge tears fell down Verena's face as she screamed out for Blayne. I dropped my bow and gathered her into a hug. watching out for her arm careful not to jostle it. I looked out into the dark forest. A deep simering anger settled in me. The Grahams were behind it all. even going to vampires to change their own men. They were trying to even the odds in the war that was coming. "we need to leave." Adairs voice cut through Verena's tears. he came up to our sitting forms and gently lifted her like it was nothing. His set look gave no room for arguments. It was dangerous out here and we have no shelter to protect us. He tied his horse to the cart then climbed in. making it dip down a bit from his weight. His motions were quick and efficient, but you could see his hurt hiding behind it. Verena must have too because she reached up setting her hand on his arm. "I'm sorry...I..You were right I am weak." Adair turned to look at her, but said nothing. he snapped the riens and the horses were moving. Brodden rode up beside us. His grin look and wounds on his face was only giving me more anxiety. this war wasn't going to be a few humans with a few werewolves mixed in. there is going to be vampires too. There is going to be death and destruction. I watched while rocking Carrick as Roxy put a make shift splint on Verena,befor she passed out from the pain. Roxy took Carrick from me resuming my rocking of him. I watched us all as we rode on into the night. weariness and fatigue setting in the longer we moved. The girls had fallen asleep as well as Carrick. I turned to look at Brodden who still rode beside me. His from look still set on his face. "Brodden promise me you'll find me in my time. Promise me you'll come back to me." I barely spoke above a whisper. Brodden turned to me and reached out moving a strand of hair out of my face. "Mo Stór I will always find and come back to ye. I might have scars but I'll come back." I swallowed back my tears and attempted a small smile. "That's okay I think scars are hot." The confusion on Broddens face made me giggle. He smiled over at me making my stomach flip at the sight. I just hoped his smile is the same, when I see him in my time.