Chapter Ten

I watched as Catriona's chest raised and fell with every breath she took. My anger growing at whatever did this to her.
I heard the room door slowly creak open. I slipped one of my knives in my hand ready to throw it. "It's just us." Verena smiled as she came into view. With Roxy right behind her her. I gave them both a small smile. Sittimg back down next to Catriona's cot. It was awkwardly quite as my two friends sat down next to me. Each of us watching her making sure she kept breathing. My stomach rumbled reminding me that I hadn't eaten since breakfast. "We need to eat." Roxy spoke breaking the silence that had settled. Verena and her both stood "I'll stay here with Catriona." Verena nodded walking back the way they came. I could hear talking coming from the kitchen then a scream. I reached for my bow and ran into the kitchen stopping just at the door edge leading to outside. I could see a man standing just in the shadow between the dark sky and where the kitchen fire just touched it. "Verena Roxy you okay?" Verena had a hold of Roxy's arm steading her. The man smiled showing off fangs that were stained a pinkish color. "Oh dear I'm afraid that I scared your friend." I pulled a arrow and notched it. Aiming at the man who still held his smile. "What is it you want?" The man tilted his head sideways almost out of curiosity. "You do not know? Oh what fun,what fun this will be." His humor leaked into his voice giving it almost a boyish sound. I chanced I quick glance over at my friends who seemed to be just as creeped out over this like I was. "You shouldn't take your eyes off your enemy." I stepped back a step when I noticed he was right at the door. He laughed and held out a hand just at the edge of the door opening. When I could see him better he was even deadly looking. He had blonde hair and brown eyes, and he was was extremely hot. It was almost disarming how good looking he was. "Please wont you lovely ladies let me in?" Roxy came to stand by me watching this man herself. "So I guess its true you have to invite a vampire into your home." I smiled at the man and I could see the anger spark in him. "This isn't our home so we can't invite him in." Verena turned with a smile that turned to terror her skirt flared out enough that the Vampire grabbed it pulling her outside with him. He wrapped his arm around her neck. She struggled to fight against him but he only tightened his grip. "Oh dear it looks like I have a bird." He stuck his nose in her hair and smelled it. A manic look entering his eye. "Shoot." Verena rasped out pulling at his arm. He hid behind her only showing his eyes. "Go ahead shoot!" His laughter sent a chill down my spine. "Sorcha you can do this shoot the bastard." I let my arrow fly and let out a sigh of relief when it hit him in the eye. He dropped Verena letting her scramble back into the keep. "You wench!" He screeched as he covered his eye with his hand. "Brodden!" "Argyll!" I looked over at Roxy as we both screamed out. "Do you think they heard us?" My whole entire being hoped they did. "I want your heart!" The man was flinging himself against the opening but something kept throwing him back. "I hope so." I reached for another arrow and let it go sending it into his neck. He let out a gurgling sound as he ripped out the arrow. Sending blood spurting out of his wound. It had my stomach rolling with nausea. "Brodden!" I screamed louder for the first time in my life I actually felt terrified. My arrows wasn't bringing him down. "I'll go find them I'm the fastest anyway." Roxy ran out of the kitchen yelling for both Argyll and Brodden. "You think your wolves can do anything." He spit out a mouth full of blood his words still coming out garbled. I slipped two throwing knives out of the holster. I threw one lodging it in his shoulder. He screamed out and tried removing the blade. As he jerked the blade from his shoulder letting it drop to the ground. He looked up as he went to say something a pure black wolf came out of no where. He hit the side of the man causing both Verena and I to scream. I felt someone grab my arm and jerk me back. I kicked out and could hear them grunt in pain. Turning so I could see them I sucked in a breath in surprise. Brodden was bent over a glare on his face. Verena screeched and I turned to see the Vampires head roll right in front of the door. I couldn't hold back anymore. I gaged and tried getting sick. The only thing coming up was bile. I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand and straightened. I was faced with Broddens back. He was blocking my view of the torn apart vampire. "Verena, Sorcha!" Roxy stood in the kitchen doorway face pale and sweaty. Verena and I ran to her pulling each other into a group hug. "I am so sorry Sorcha I know none of this was your fault." I pulled away from her and mustered up a smile. "I know you didn't mean anything you said." She laughed and gives me again. Pulling apart all of us wiped our eyes. "I can't believe you fought a Vampire." I chuckled and shook my head. I don't know what you mean by fight. He couldn't enter the keep." Verena joined in the laughter "modern day vampire slayer." I laughed louder causing everyone to look at us "Call me Buffy." We started to laugh histirically unable to stop the wave of it. Heather stood in the doorway leading into the kitchen a smile stretched across his face. Kendrix right behind her pride clearly on his. "Adair!" I looked behind me and could see a man with extremely dark hair. His face and upper body extremely scared. She ran to him and pulled him into a hug. I notice Brodden was smiling also. The man looked up and watched the three of us. Verena moved behind Roxy and I as his stare turned intense. He gently moved Heather away from him and walked toward us. "These are yours." He held out my knives I had thrown. I grabbed them from him without a word. Feeling very intimidated by this man. Brodden came to stand next to me pulling me toward him. "This is ye mate friend." His voice actually rumbled when he spoke. Brodden smiled as he looked down at me. "Aye my friend she is. It's good to see you back." They clasped fore arms each smiling at each other. "She fights well." Brodden swelled with pride. "That she does." The mans gaze landed on Verena hardening as it landed on her. "Ye are weak." Verena's face paled with the insult. She looked to me before looking back at the man. "Can ye not speak?" He growled out at her. Causing her to jump back and tears form in her eyes. "That enough you ass." I put myself in front of Verena as did Roxy. Both of us becoming protective of her. "Verena I'll walk ye to your room. Welcome back brother." My eyes widened as Heather and Kendrix's son called this over bearing man brother. I looked back at him and could see his eyes go dark with anger. His stare trained on his brothers hand on Verena. "Blayne it's nice to see ye." The animosity between the two was overly apparent. I looked over at Brodden who just shrugged at my unspoken question. Blayne walked Verena out and into the dark halls. Leaving behind a very angry looking Adair and a very confused Roxy and I.