Chapter 7

A/N Only a short chapter . Mainly a filler , but read it anyway . I promise  the story will really kick off in the next chapter ;)

Cait was waiting for us in the minivan .

“Finally” Terri said , when we got in .

“We had to go to the office” Tashie replied . Or hissed , might be better .

“Cait won't tell us who got adopted until dinner “ Terri said . That explained the pissed-off looks on everyone's faces .

“Did you find out then ?” I asked Cait .

“Yes . Nano called me while you kids were at school “ She spared a look at me , then turned bak to the road . “You'll find out at dinner , like Terri said . And I'm not giving any hints out before then .”

“How many of us are getting adopted ?” Tashie asked , “You can at least tel us that .”

Cait hesitated , before nodding .

“Just one of you .”

Just one of us I thought , Only one of us get to escape .

When we got home , everyone was buzzing about who was getting adopted . It felt weird , like in the space of twelve hours I had been transported through three different worlds ; Hanging out with a rockstar , Joining a new school , and Life in a foster home .

While Cait began to cook dinner , she advised us all to go up and get started on homework .

I had gotten homework in most subjects , including History .

“What's your least favourite subject that you got homework in ?” I asked Tashie , as we walked to our rooms . She paused for a moment , thinking .

“Spanish “ She replied eventually . I grinned .

“Tell you what “ I said , “I'll do your Spanish homework , if you do my History .”

Tashie thought for a second , before nodding . “Deal” She agreed , shaking my hand . She beckoned me into her room , and we gave each other the books that we needed .

“Thanks !” I said as I left .

My room didn't have a desk . I realized this only when I came into it , and thought back to Friday evening , when everyone came home from school and crowded around the dining room table .

“So that's why they did that “ I murmured .

I sat down on my bed , and layed my books out in front of me . I started with Maths , laughing quietly while I remembered Darren's antics .

I was glad that if Alex didn't adopt me , I would have some friends here . Tashie , Darren , Emma . Sasha too . Tashie seemed to like her , although I hadn't met her yet .

If Alex didn't adopt me .

Of course he won't A sly voice at the back of my mind said . Who would want to adopt you ?

I shook my head violently . That wasn't true .

Of course it's not The voice muttered .

I shook my head again , then laughed .

“I can't believe this “ I said to myself . “I'm arguing with myself .”

When Cait called us for dinner , I had barely finished my homework . I slid my books into my bag , and nipped around to Tashie's room to give her her Spanish homework .