Chapter 4

I woke up to screaming . Genuine , blood–curdling screaming . I moaned , and rolled over , but even with my pillow over my head I could still hear it . “Shut up !” Someone yelled from next door , their voice breaking from just waking up .

Thank you I thought . Why the hell where they screaming anyway ?

I turned over and sat up , checking the time on my alarm clock .

8:34 ? Why would anyone be up , on a Sunday , at 8:34 ?

I shook my head sleepily , and yawned .

I lay down again , and closed my eyes . I didn't get to fall asleep , though , because Cait began knocking on all our doors , telling us to get up .

And then it clicked . Early , weekend morning . People screaming . Having to get up.

There's a fire !!!

I ran out of my room and into the hallway .

“Good , Hazel “ Cait nodded approvingly , “ Get to the bathroom before anyone else is up , clever .”

“F-fire !” I stuttered .

“What ?” Cait said , then laughed .

“But … someone screamed , and you told us we had to get up …”

“Terri screamed “ Cait explained , “She's just excited about our visitors . And as for me telling you all to get up , it's just so you'll be ready for them .”

“That's it ?” I said , blinking . “I'm going back to bed ...”

Of course , I couldn't get back to sleep . Now that Terri had woken everyone up , there was noise from every direction . So , I got up , and ran to the hall to put my name on the list for showers . Usually , we wouldn't have to do that , but everyone wanted one this morning .

While I was waiting for my shower , I went through my clothes for something to wear . A pair of car-boot-sale jeans , a sweatshirt that had previously belonged to Steven . I didn't mind that though , it reminded me of him , and it was comforting .

I grabbed my clothes , and went to join the line for the bathroom .

“Hey “ Tashie said , waving me over .

“Morning “ I replied .

“Is it always like the this ?” Tashie asked glancing around .

I shook my head . “No . Everyone wants a shower today , though . They want to get adopted , so they want to be clean .”

Tashie nodded , and looked around again .

“It's going to take me ages just to get to the door . I didn't put my name on the list until a few minutes ago .”

“It'll take you a while then “ I agreed , nodding .

We were silent again , having nothing to talk about .

I took my shower as quickly as I could . Cait had given us a max of ten minutes in the shower and two minutes to get dressed quickly , then scurry back into our rooms . I washed my hair , scrubbing hard at my scalp as if trying to scrape away ugly memories .

I got back into my room , and really just sat around and twiddled my thumbs . I didn't know what I was supposed to do . It wasn't even ten o clock yet , the band wouldn't be coming until five .

I straightened my hair , and tied up a pair of shoes then went downstairs .

Tashie and her sister Fay were waiting downstairs for me . I sighed silently , couldn't they leave me alone for a second ?! I shrugged off the thought , and walked over to them .