Chapter 30

Despite the fact that Saturday dawned a day which held the potential to separate me from Alex forever , I found myself smiling when I woke up – and for that I could only find one reason . Today I would be seeing Alex again , yes , only for a few hours , but as pathetic as it sounds I'd missed him over the past few days . I had no idea whether he'd been released from hospital or not , as the judge's order had been strictly no contact .

Ms Lawrence had breakfast ready for me when I came downstairs , and I ate with all the other early birds .

“Nervous , Hazel ?” The foster mother asked politely , and I nodded in return .

Living here for the past few days had caused me remember my life at my old foster home , with Tashie and Terri and Cait . It had made me realise how much I'd changed since then – how much Alex had changed me .

Ms Lawrence was nothing like Cait , my previous foster mother . Cait was warm , always ready for a chat and a cuddle . She could handle twenty kids – from newborns to legal adults – in her sleep . But Ms Lawrence ? Well , she makes you call her by her last name . I think that says enough in itself .

“You eat up , and then we'll take off” Ms Lawrence said briskly .

Maybe I was just incredibly naïve , but something told me that this day would go well .

I hugged Alex tightly when I saw him . He looked well , considering he'd been in hospital two days before . His right arm bulged under his shirt , and when I rolled it up I saw he was wearing a cast .

“Just a precaution” He calmed me , “Don't worry I'm fine .”

I frowned . “I'm sorry , Alex .”

“Hey” He said softly , “It's not your fault .”

The courtroom was bigger than our last one , with rows and rows of benches for the witnesses to sit . Some were already there , all of the band and crew and both of Alex's parents .

“Hey” Nikki said , jumping up when she saw me , “You never texted me .”

“Oh” I frowned , “Sorry . I was kind of … busy .”

She smiled . “Yeah , I know . But don't worry , it's going to be fine .”

“Hey , you just quoted every person I've met in the past week .”

“Well then you've met some pretty intelligent people , haven't you ?”

I rolled my eyes . “If only they were intelligent enough to realise that my dad is an asshole and I should live with Alex .”

Judge Burner entered the courtroom and immediately we fell silent . I left Nikki and took my seat between Alex and Mr Sullivan , and waited .

“Court is in session “The judge announced , “Mr Towson , you may bring out your first witness .”

“Thank you , Judge” My father's laywer said . “The court calls Richard Reede .”

My dad stood up and walked confidently to the witness' box , ready for questioning . He recited an oath with his hand on the bible , and it began .

“Mr Reede , did you and Michelle Reede seperate fifteen years ago ?”

“Yes” My father nodded .

“Michelle gained custody of both children is that correct ?”

“Yes .”

“When Michelle died , why is it that you did not gain custody of your daughter ?”

My father shrugged . “I didn't know that Michelle had passed away .”

I felt Alex's fingers weave between mine under the table , and I squeezed his hand gratefully . My dad must be lying , as everyone had always told me that done their best to contact him .