Chapter 31

Ms Lawrence knocked on my bedroom door gently .

“Hazel” She called , “You've got a visitor .”

I frowned ; no one was allowed to come and see me , Judge's orders .

“Who is it ?” I asked , opening my door curiously . She shrugged .

“In the living room” She said , not bothering to answer my question .

On the sofa sat a figure , bent over . Their head was covered with … a beanie ?

“Alex” I smiled , running to him .

“Hey Halo” Alex said , standing up .

“What are you doing here ?” I asked , “The judge said ...”

He waved his hand . “Who gives a crap .”

Alex smiled , making me forget all my worries .

“That speech in court yesterday ?” He said , “It needed some rewarding , I mean , it was awesome .”

He tapped the sofa , “Come , sit .”

Alex took off his scarf , and wrapped it around my eyes .

“So , we got you some stuff” He said , “It was actually for when we win the trial , but we figured we might give it to you earlier .”

I felt in my hands a plastic case . I rolled it around on my fingers , trying to guess what it was .

“A CD ?” I said after a second .

“Not just any CD .”

Alex fumbled around at the back of my head , before the scarf fell onto my lap . A clear CD case sat in my hands , the disc blank .

Your CD .”

I looked at him . “You mean -”

Alex nodded . “Yep . The song that you , Nikki and Pommie wrote .”

“No way !” I laughed . “This is amazing !”

He nodded . “Yeah , it sounds epic , despite the rushed recording and mixing and stuff . It's from Nikki and Pommie , by the way .”

“Best present ever” I grinned , but he stopped me .

“I wouldn't say that too quickly .”

Alex blindfolded me again , before placing another object in my hands . I felt it .

“That's from Jack .”

I frowned . “A … box ?”

He chuckled , and untied the scarf .

It was a jewellery box , the kind shops give you to hold your earrings in . I took the lid off cautiously , and smiled when I saw what was inside .

“It's pretty” I said , stroking the stone bird . It was white and shiny , small enough to fit in the paln of my hand .

“It's a turtle dove” Alex said , “Ever seen Home Alone 2 ?”

I shook my head , and he gasped . “Jack would slaughter you” He said , “But anyway , in the movie Kevin gets two turtle doves from Mr Duncan , and on Christmas morning he gives one to the lady he met at the park . “

“Why ?”

“That's what Mr Duncan told him to do . He said to keep one and give the other to a very special person . Because turtle doves are a symbol of friendship , and as long as you each have your turtle dove , you'll be friends forever . I can't believe I know all of that off by heart . Dammit , Jack .”