Chapter 19

Carly POV

Running out of the house, I wasn't sure where I should go.

Calling Sean to ask him if I can stay with him and his uncle seemed to be my best option.

First, I had to focus on getting as far away from that house as possible.

My plan is to go to the park and then call Sean to pick me up.

I run until I need to stop so that I can catch my breath.

I look at the woods that are beside me.

I've heard that there's a trail through the woods to the park. I've never taken it before, but something about the woods was calling to me. If it gets me there faster, that's the way I should go.

The trail was easy to spot and I quickly made move to follow it.

The sky is cloudy, but it wasn't too dark in the woods.

Getting deeper into the woods, it began to slightly rain. I began to rethink my choices from earlier today.

Everything was quiet, except for the patter of the rain and the crunching of leaves. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but the crunching sounded oddly close to me. Almost as if it was someone following me.

When I stopped, the noise stopped. And when I walked faster, the noise got louder and closer.

I sprinted along the trail as fast as I could, hoping to get out of these woods soon.

I only looked back for a second, but that's when I ran into someone and was grabbed.

"Ahhh!"

"Carly, are you alright?" I sighed in relief when I realized it was just Sean.

I couldn't even speak, I was breathing so heavy.

"What are you even doing out here? Nevermind, we can talk about it later. Let's go."

Sean put his jacket over my shoulder and led me out of the woods.

Sean POV

I finally got Carly out of the rain and into the car.

I turned the heat up as soon as I sat down. I didn't want my girl to freeze anymore.

I was lucky to have found her when I did. I had been running in my wolf form when I smelled her. One of Derek's pack members had been following her, but he backed off when he saw she was with me.

"Thank you." Carly said.

"I'm glad I found you. Are you ok?" I asked her.

"Yeah." She said not looking at me.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"Not tonight." She told me, finally looking up at me.

"Ok. Would you like me to take you home?" I asked.

"No. Can I stay at your uncle's house with you?"

"Of course."

The rest of the car ride was silent. By the time I pulled into Derek's driveway, Carly was fast asleep.

I got out of the car and went to the passenger side of the car. Leaning over her I unbuckled her seatbelt.

She finally opens her eyes and looks at me.

"Hey, sleepyhead." I say to her.

"Shut up." She says before closing her eyes again.

I lift her out of her seat and close the door before running through the rain with her in my arms.

I make it to the front door and set Carly down once we're inside.

"Carly!" Penelope screams as she sees her. Then she runs up and gives Carly a hug.

"Hey, cutie." Carly greets Penelope as she embraces her.

"You're wet." Penelope tells her.

"Yeah. I've noticed." Carly says and laughs.

"Oh dear." Derek's wife, Margaret, says as she sees us.

"Maggie, maybe you should help Carly dry off and get her some clean clothes." Derek tells her as he walks into the room too.

"Of course. Carly do you mind coming with me?" She asked.

"Sure."

Carly and Penelope followed Margaret further into the house.

"How long do you think you two will have to stay here?" Derek asked me when they were gone.

"I'm not sure, but I hope not for long." I told him.

"Ok. You should get cleaned up." He said before walking away.

"Derek, thanks for everything."

"No problem. You're father has always been a good ally of mine and Penelope seems to love having you here."

I nodded and went up to the room that I've been staying in for the past couple weeks.

After showering and dressing, I walked to the guest room so that I could check on Carly before heading to bed.

When I knocked on her door she didn't answer. Letting myself in, I found she wasn't in there.

Moving towards Penelope's room, I could hear both Carly and Penelope's voices.

I walked in to see that Penelope is tucked in bed and Carly is sat on the edge of her bed.

"I thought I might find you in here." I say sitting down next to Carly.

"You were looking for me?" She asks.

I just nod my head.

"Oh sorry. I was just tucking Penelope in bed." She told me.

"I see that."

"Goodnight, Penelope." Carly says and gives her a kiss on the forehead.

"Goodnight, Carly. Goodnight, Sean." She says to us.

"Goodnight, kiddo." I tell her before leading Carly out of the room.

I hold Carly's hand as I walk her back to her room.

"Are you going to bed now?" I asked her as we stop at her door.

"No, I haven't showered yet." She says.

"Ok. Well, my room is right over there so if you need anything at all, don't hesitate to come get me." I tell her.

"Ok."

"Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

I give her a quick peck on the lips before I go to my room.

I haven't kissed her since we were at the hospital. It was good to feel her lips on mine again, even if it we're for a mere second.

I lay down in bed and attempt to fall asleep. It's been really hard this past week to sleep without Carly. Tonight it's even harder because I can't stand knowing she's just across the hall, but she's still not with me.

Before I know it, it's been an hour of tossing and turning when I see the door open a bit.

Carly walks into the room as quietly as she can. She comes over and sits on the bed by me.

"I couldn't sleep." She whispers.

"Me neither." I say opening my arms up to her.

Without hesitation, she lays down and snuggles in right next to me like it's where she belongs. This is where she belongs.

Finally, with her in my arms, I'm able to sleep peacefully.