Chapter 14

Carly POV

My whole body hurts.

I can only vaguely remember what happened.

I ran into the house to stop Sean from killing Brandon but then there was a gunshot and I felt a searing pain throughout my side.

I looked around to find out where I was. My best guess is that I was in a hospital because the whiteness of the room was blinding.

Finally, after a few minutes of squinting, my eyes adjusted.

It was hard to look at everything with my movements limited to only the turning of my head. The stiffness of my abdomen made it hard to move anything else.

On the bedside table next to me, I could see a vase full of orange peonies. I assumed that they were from Sean, no one else would've gotten me flowers.

After laying awake for a bit, I was able to move my arm enough to hit the button that called the nurse into my room.

"Good, you're awake. I'll go let the doctor know. Do you need anything before I go?" She asked.

"No, I'm good." I croaked out.

"I'll get you a water anyway. It sounds like you need one." She said before leaving.

I feel like it was about ten or fifteen minutes before she came back but I can't find a clock so it may not have taken her as long as I thought.

She adjusted the bed into a seating position and helped me drink from the cup of water.

A few minutes later a doctor came in.

He asked me my name, when I was born, and other simple stuff to make sure I my memory wasn't effected by my injury.

Then he wanted to check out my bullet wound. So he unwrapped the bandages, made sure the stitches were still good, and confirmed that everything was fine.

Then he and the nurse both wrapped new bandages around it.

Before the doctor left he warned me not to move too much or do anything strenuous, otherwise I could rip my stitches and we wouldn't want that.

Luckily, they're letting me go home later tonight. It felt as if I had been here long enough and I wanted nothing more than to go home so I could lie in my own bed.

There was a knock on the door.

"Come in." I answered.

I smiled when I saw that it was Sean. He came over grabbing my hand and sitting next to me.

"Did you like the flowers?" He asked shyly. I let out a little unattractive noise that was an attempt at laughter. He was too cute and just so sweet it made me want to giggle. My stomach, however, was going to hurt if I truly laughed.

"I loved them. Thank you." I said.

"Are you feeling ok?" He asked.

"It hurts a little but its getting better. Don't worry, I'm a tough girl. I can handle this." I told him.

"You shouldn't have to. I'm so sorry I couldn't protect you, Carly." He said glumly.

"It's not your fault. You told me to stay in the car and I didn't listen. You did the best you could, everything will be ok." I assured him.

"Listen, I've been thinking. With everything that happened, I'd like to make it up to you." He began.

"No you don't have to-" I started but he cut me off.

"Sh. I'm not done yet. I want you to come stay with me for awhile." he said.

My jaw dropped. I can't believe what he's suggesting.

"Sean, thank you for the offer. It's so sweet but totally unnecessary. You've already done so much for me. You don't have do that. I'll be fine." I turned down his offer as politely as I could.

"You don't understand. I'm not just going to let you live by yourself, especially with an injury like that. My uncle has a big house with plenty of guest bedrooms. You can stay there with me. Please, just let me take care of you." He begged me.

He looked so sincere and I believe that he has only good intentions for me. I couldn't say no with the way he kept looking at me.

"Ok." I whispered.

He smiled and leaned in closer. I could tell he wanted to kiss me by the way his eyes dropped to my lips. Not wanting to deny him anything, I prepared myself for my first kiss.

It never happened though because someone came in storming through the door.

It was my mother.