Chapter 1

Carly's POV

I've been walking for 15 minutes when the school finally comes into sight. As I see it, I want nothing more than to just turn and run as far away as possible, so I wouldn't have to go to that horrible place. Maybe it wouldn't be half as bad if the people there treated me decently.

But I know that if I didn't go to school, I would be punished when I got home. So instead of running, I put one foot in front of the other and eventually went inside.

I walk through the hallway and make my way passed the big crowds of people.

I grab some books out of my locker and head to my first class of the day.

Once I get in the room, I see the football captain kissing one of the cheerleaders. She's sitting on top of his desk and it seemed like it'd be impossible for them to get any closer to each other.

There were a few other people in here but no one was going to say anything to them to make them stop.

Frankly, I was a bit annoyed with their PDA. Though, I had a feeling that my annoyance was actually caused by jealousy. I wanted to be able to be kissed in public without caring about what others think. Sadly, I knew it that would never happen. The chances of any guys wanting to kiss me were slim.

So I just ignore them and make my way to the back corner of the room. I don't have any friends here so I just sit alone and listen to music while the teacher walks in and begins another boring lesson.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When the bell rings, I get up out of my seat and head towards the front of the room.

Too bad I didn't see Hailey, the cheerleader from earlier, stick her foot out in front of me. I tripped over her foot and fell flat on my face.

My fellow classmates were immature enough to begin laughing at the childish prank. I was used to it though, so it didn't really bother me. Instead of making a scene about it, I just stood up and walked out of the classroom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After a miserable day at school, I started walking home.

Usually when I walk home, I try to go as slow as possible. That way I won't have to see Brandon as much.

Brandon is my older brother and he's the reason my body is covered in bruises and scars.

He used to be a good brother, but then after my dad died he started to become abusive towards me. He gets away with the way he treats me because it's normally just us two at the house.

My mom is usually always away for her work, but every now and then she'll come home and stay with us for a weekend. I always look forward to her visits for several reasons. I miss her when shes gone because I love her. But I also enjoy when she comes home because Brandon won't hurt me with her there because he can't let her to find out about what he does to me.

I slowly step inside my house very quietly. There's no immediate sign of my brother in the house. I tip toe into the living room to find him passed out on the couch.

I guess this is my lucky day, or at least as lucky as it gets for me.

I make way over to the kitchen and grab a few snacks before I head up to my room.

Brandon barely ever allows me to eat when I'm home because he thinks I'm too fat. I used to have a little chubbiness but now with the lack of food I get, I'm almost nothing but skin and bones.

After I finish munching up on my treats, I quickly change my clothes for work.

My mother's job pays well enough for my brother and I to live comfortably at home without working ourselves. I choose to work though, because I want to have money of my own. Brandon doesn't work at all and squanders enough of Mom's money on beer and refuses to let me use any of it.

I work as a waitress at a diner in town, so every now and then, I have to wait on someone from my school. They aren't much nicer to me outside of school, so they enjoy giving me orders while I endure them constantly insulting me.

I quietly walk passed the living room, not wanting to disturb my brother and wake him up before I leave.