25*Backup Plan*

I woke up to my buzzing alarm with my face feeling stiff and my head pounding. I hate crying myself to sleep. It's like a hangover without the fun night before to make up for it. 

I turn to face Evan's side of the bed to see that he still isn't there. There's no sign of him sleeping in the bed at all last night.  

Standing up slowly, I rub my face and take a deep breath. I walk into the bathroom to see that the shower hasn't been run yet and all the stuff he uses in the morning hasn't been moved. He's probably still sleeping; wherever he went.  

I start to get ready for school when I realize that I fell asleep last night without packing.  

Shit. 

There's only ten minutes until I have to leave for school. How did I sleep so late?  

Looks like I'm taking sick day. Walking over to my nightstand, I pick up my cellphone and dial my mother's number.  

"Hello?" she answers after the first ring sounding a little anxious. 

I smile at the sound of her voice, "Hey Ma. Can you call me in sick today?" 

"Why honey, are you okay?" the worry is evident as she speaks. 

No wanting to tell her that Evan and I had a fight, I tell her the next best thing, "I woke up late and I'm not feeling really well. I want to relax today to make sure I can make it tonight. I'll be really upset if I get sick before the trip." 

That's true enough. 

"Alright," there's skepticism in her voice, "I'll give them a call." Then she seems to perk up a little bit, "I'll head over with some orange juice and soup for you. We'll have one of our sick days together." 

"You don't have to, Ma. I'll be okay," I insist, but I know it's useless. She's always done this for me and Don.  

When one of us would get sick, she would make us soup and give us orange juice. Then we would get this big red comforter that she calls the 'better blankie' and wraps us up with her and we would watch old movies all day. 

"It's not a problem, baby. I'll be over in a about an hour." She tells me before we say our goodbyes and hang up. 

I walk out to the living room to see a blanket folded up on the end of the couch with Evan's pillow on top of it. Lying on his pillow there's a slip of paper. I walk over to the pile and snatch up the note. It says:

Walt,  
I left a little early to get a workout in before school. I'll use the locker room to get ready. I'll see you at lunch.  
Evan 

There's no 'I love you' or 'I'm sorry' just a 'see you at lunch'. It makes my stomach drop. I crumple the paper up and throw it in the trash before I pick up the bedding and put it back in our room.  

Even though it hurts, I feel like I shouldn't be surprised. I really pissed him off last night. I don't understand how caring for him could be a bad thing, but somehow it really got to him.  

I'll just let him cool off. I know he won't be the one to say sorry. He just needs to brew for a little while. He needs to understand that this should be important to him. 

I pack up some clothes and my toiletries. It only takes about 30 minutes to get everything together and make sure I wasn't missing anything.  

Soon enough, my mom walks in the front door with a big bag in hand. 

"What is all that?" I ask as I close the door behind her.  

Her smile grows as she sets it on the loveseat, "It's all the sick day cures."