7*No Camera No Evan*

Dedicated to CupycakesGoRawr. Her boyxboy is fantastic, that's why

The next class I have is a free hour. I take the opportunity to talk go talk to my counselor about my application to Yale. Evan and I are both applying Early Action; that way if we don't get in we still have a little time to apply to other colleges. I, however, have decided to apply Single-Decision as well.

"So, Walter, we know you have the grades and test scores to get in, but what about extracurricular activities? You don't have too much to put on your application," Mrs. Burberry explains looking over my transcript. She's sitting behind the desk with her glasses at the end of her nose. I'm on the other side of her desk with my elbows propped up on the arm rests, relaxed.

Mrs. Burberry is an older woman, she's really nice. She has helped me through a lot. Not only grades and stuff, but when I first came out of the closet my sophomore year, too. My friends and family were really cool and supportive about me being gay. I can't say that about the rest of the school. Sometimes I would just come in here and hang out to avoid conflict. My counselor would talk me through it, when I needed to, or she would talk about something else completely to get my mind off of everything. We're so close, I don't even call her Mrs. Burberry anymore. To me, she'll always be Burb.

That's how I decided on Yale. Burb went there and her diploma hangings on the wall behind her desk. Back when I hung out with her almost daily, I would just stare at it. I could only imagine getting out of this place and on with life to more mature people. People that wouldn't make my life hell.

Evan would never have the problem of not enough electives, he has photography, he plays soccer, his music, student counsel, and when he has spare time, he helps the homeless. Ok, so maybe he doesn't help the homeless, but I swear that kid is like the perfect student.

"I've been in jazz band for the entirety of my high school years, playing the guitar. And, you know I do the TFC thing. Does that count?" I ask.

"It could if we put it in your application correctly, I suppose. Do you know what you're going to do your essay on?"

"I figured I would recant one of my rallies. I would pick one of my favorites and tell how it went, how I felt doing it, and the end result. Maybe I could do a LGBT rights march," I shrug. A little concerned, I question, "Is that too controversial?"

"I'm not sure," she admits, still staring at my papers in her hand. You would think she has them all memorized by now. "I could see it going both ways. I mean on one hand, it's a very sensitive subject, but you want to be a civil rights lawyer. If you can make your point strong enough, I think it might actually help."

I nod.

"But Walter, you need to start doing that now. Have you found two teachers that you want for your recommendation letters?"

"Well, I was thinking about my band teacher Mr. Radano," I tell her. "I'm not sure about the other one, maybe my English teacher from last year? But definitely Mr. Rad."

"I agree that Mr. Radano would be a good choice. But, I would ask you to consider asking Ms. Crawford," she looked over the rim of her glasses at me.

"Ms. Crawford absolutely hates me, Burb. I don't want Yale to toss out my application before they even get to my essay," giving her a dumbfounded look, I can't even believe she would suggest that.

"You may not be her favorite student. But, I believe she has great respect for you," she takes her glasses off and sets them on the desk to look at me.

"I doubt that."

"Why do you doubt that, Walter?"

"One, I never studied for her test," I start counting on my fingers. "Two, I wrote her a letter telling her why her subject was bogus. Three, I completely refused to do some of her labs. Four, I only took her class because I needed an extra science elective and she knew it," I finish smiling. Then add, "Oh wait, and, five, I tried to set her lizard free."