Chapter 4

Chapter 4

I sat on the floor and stretched out my muscles in my legs, the burning and tingly pain, now becoming pleasure. That’s what I liked about stretching, it hurt like hell at first but after a while it felt really good. I sighed and spread my legs to a V postion going down to my right and counting to twenty.

I had basketball practice in a couple minutes and we never really got time to stretch (which I learned the hard way after pulling a muscle) I always stretch before. I stood up and bent backwards into a back bend and stretched my back.

After five more stretches I was done, I pulled my hair into a tight ponytail and walked out of my bedroom, with my athletics bag slung over my shoulder and down the hall towards the kitchen. It was still early in the morning and I knew Andrew wouldn’t be up right now, and the others weren’t up either so I decided to leave them a note.

Who ever is reading this,

Went to basketball practice, be back in two hours or more.

-Kathleen

I quickly signed my name and walked out of the door.

X-X-X

“Travel!” Couch shouted at me, I turned and looked at me, and then down at my feet. A couple girls also on the court giggled at me. I turned around and handed him the ball.

“Sorry couch.” I said under my breath as he scowled me and passed the ball to the girls with the opposite color on.

“Next time make sure you stop, and don’t step forward, or pevelt.” He said with a  roll of his eyes.

“Screw up.” I heard one girl mumbled, I turned my eyes towards the words, not being able to figure out who had said them since their backs were turned. I sighed and got into position when…I think her name is Yasmine called a play. Yasmine passed it so the girl beside me and I quickly reached my arm out and took it, slapping it in my hand and dribbling down the court. I was fast, the rest were a few steps behind me, so I knew I’d be able to make an easy layup. I slapped the ball hard in my hand as I slightly jumped and pushed the ball into the goal.

“SHOT!” Other’s yelled trying to throw my off card, then there was a butt pressed to my front as someone tried to box me out.

“Come on ladies! Kathleen’s killing it out there! Pick up the pass and work harder!” Couch Rick shouted, some girls groaned, others glared at me. As I was running to the opposite half of the court, Whitney stuck out her foot in front of me and I fell foreword, causing laughter to erupt.

“She may just kill accidently kill herself, tripping over her own feet.” Lannie spoke and everybody started to laugh again, my face flushed with embarrassment as Whitney looked at me, smirked and then got into stance.

That’s it, I’m taking her down! I thought.

As we played, I finally had my chance to get back at Whitney, she had the ball, ready to do a jump shot when I ran up to her and pushed her with my shoulder, grabbing the ball out of her hands, watching her fall to the floor, as I ran the ball back to our goal and shot it in. Easy layup.

“Alright girls, get a drink and then we’ll go to drills.” Couch shouted as he left somewhere. As I bent down to put my dry lips to the water coming out of the water fountain an annoying bitchy voice stopped me.

“Who the hell do you think you are?! I could have broken my wrist you shit hole!” Whitney snarled in my ear, not wanting to talk too loud and cause all of us to run the rest of the practice. I got my drink, stood up straight and looked at mer.

“Maybe you shouldn’t trip me next time.” I said sternly.

“Sorry, honey but this is basketball if you haven’t noticed, your going to get pushed and shoved and tripped, get over it.” She said with a roll of her eyes.

“Should you be saying that to yourself, I mean you’re the one complaining.” I said pushing my way through.

“So it looks like the girl with the fucked up family finally grows balls to stand up to us.” Whitney laughed bitterly and the others laughed along. My eyes twitched.

She shouldn’t be talking about my family, yeah my dad and mom lost their jobs and are currently unemployed and were struggling that bad that they had me shipped off to my brothers while they take a little vacation for themselves. (that may sound really wrong, but a close fried gave them their tickets to go on a cruise, since it’s been a hard time for us) But she couldn’t be talking, I mean every one knows her moms a whore, sleeping with half the town.

“Whatever.” I mutter under my breath and go back to the court.

X-X-X

“Okay, locker room ladies, we’re done, make sure to practice tomorrow since we wont be having practice.” Couch told us and we all nodded before running to the locker rooms. I didn’t change out of my clothes, I just put one some more deodorant, re did my hair and grabbed a pack of ice, as I placed I on my upper back where my neck and shoulders met. After finishing I slung my bag over my shoulder and walked out of the locker room, the other girls behind me laughing and talking behind me. While I ‘The odd one out’ walked alone towards the double doors.

We were all outside now, them talking me resting a bit before I walked all the way back to Andrews.

“Ha, it looks like Jones doesn’t have a ride again, either her family cant afford one OR nobody cares to come pick up the trash.” Lannie remarked and everybody laughed. I glanced to look at them, their heads bobbing, some of them leaning, clutching their stomachs.

“Really, you say that all the time, why don’t you come up with a better one.” I spoke loud enough for her to hear as I rolled my eyes.

“Whatever charity case.” Lannie spoke. Right then,  guy with brown hair was walking towards us, his head down, holding an iPod, looking through music I suppose. “Oh look at that hot piece of meat.” Lannie spoke licking her lips.

Ew, gross.

He looked up and I realized was  Kayden, he searched the crowd of girls before his eyes landed on me, walking over. Some of the girls stayed silent and waited to see who he was coming to, others whispered and growled. He smirked when he approached me.

“Well hello.” He said still smirking as he looked me up in down, I wasn’t in anything pretty enough to attract a guy, some black baskeball shorts and our practice jerseys wasn’t really anything.

“Uh hi.” I said slightly turning around to see the group whispering to each other.

“Come on, I have places to go, people to see and things to do.” Kayden spoke nodding his head towards where he had come.

“Did you walk?” I asked as we walked away from the team, heading somewhere.

“Hell no, I drove, I’m not going to walk two miles.” He spoke with that duh expression.

“Right.” I say nodding, we walked up to his simply dark blue car and climbed in.

“Hungry?” He asked pulling into the Burger King across the street.

“Sure.”