90. Unexpected Reunion

Those oceanic blue eyes locked onto mine. Disbelieving. Amazed. Excited. I wanted nothing more than to jump up and leap into his waiting arms, surely they were waiting for me. But I couldn't—I had to remain seated, play the role of a strategic queen. Oh, how I longed to just throw my arms around Legolas's shoulders and kiss him.

"Kind of you to join us," Thranduil said, a subtle undercurrent of sarcasm running through his tone.

Legolas's mouth opened, but a long moment passed before he tore his eyes away and responded. "Yes, well, I thought I might see what being responsible is like on occassion." He strode to the seat beside his father and sat.

Thranduil scoffed. "Wise, ion nin, very wise. Perhaps kingship will not be such a culture shock for you as I had anticipated."

Legolas glanced at me, and our eyes met. The space between us was killing me; I wouldn't be able to breathe properly until I could touch him, know he was truly there and not just a creation of my lonely imagination.

Thranduil pounded the table with his fist. "Legolas!"

I jumped, and so did Legolas. "Yes, Adar?" he replied irritably.

Thranduil huffed and stood, scraping his chair back loudly. He pointed at Legolas, then at me. "We will speak in private."

Legolas's expression revealed worry, and I struggled to hide the fear rising in my chest. Legolas stood as well, and I followed his example. Thranduil swept away from the table, and toward the main door, and we followed him.

In the hallway, I caught myself repeatedly glancing at Legolas. This much closer to him, the familiar details came sweeping back in an overwhelming flood. Even his scent threatened to send me over the edge. He met my gaze once, and his eyes swam with raw emotion, raw desire. A chill ran through my veins. What would he do, what would we do, if Thranduil forced us apart? The very thought brought tears to my eyes.

"In here." Thranduil pushed open a door and motioned us inside. It was a small, dimly lit room—a decoration storage room, from the appearance. The three of us went inside, and Thranduil shut the door behind us.

Legolas spun to face me, gripping my shoulders. His lips crashed into mine, moving feverishly, pleading mine to respond. I melted into him, gratefully matching his movement.

"Legolas!" Thranduil snapped, his voice filled with horror and embarrassment.

Legolas came up for air, breathing hard. "Ada, this is Eda and I'm going to marry her."

Thranduil blinked. Twice.

"Do not even bother trying to dissuade me," Legolas said, lowering his voice to a determined growl. His arms curled around my waist, pulling me tightly against him. "I love her."

Thranduil looked away and let out a long, heavy breath. His long fingers massaged his temples, and he seated himself on a sturdy box. "I had a speech, Legolas—a whole speech; I even rehearsed it."

"By the Valar, you must be losing your edge," Legolas muttered. I had to stifle a snicker.

Thranduil shot him an unamused glare. "Thank you, Legolas. As always, your vote of confidence is bolstering."

Legolas shrugged. "Give me your speech, if you like. Seems a waste not to."

"Very well." He cleared his throat. "Legolas, ion nin, this is Queen Amariel of Erebor." Legolas gave me an impressed expression, and I shrugged, trying not to feel too smug. Thranduil sighed and continued. "Some...unexpected new information has come to the light, causing us both to reconsider our political relations. In exchange for a key that will ensure the safety of both our kingdoms, Her Majesty Amariel has suggested unifying our kingdoms through the power of holy matrimony."