42. Aragorn, Elected Peacemaker

I awoke to Aragorn gently shaking my shoulder. "Hey," he murmured. "It's time to go."

I groaned and rubbed my eyes. "Mmmmph. 'Kay."

We about to move out when Gandalf approached me. "Eda. I need you at the back of the company today."

"But, Gandalf-"

He shook his head. "I am very concerned for the Hobbits, particularly Samwise and Frodo. I want you to keep an eye on them specially." When I hesitated, he laid a hand on my shoulder. "Please, do this for me."

I nodded reluctantly. The last thing I wanted was to walk with Aragorn and Legolas-but I could hardly tell Gandalf no.

He gave me a kind smile. "That's a good girl. Now take heart. We're about halfway through Moria, and it would seem luck is with us."

I smiled back. Halfway through-that was doable.

Gandalf patted my shoulder, then called softly, "Aragorn, may I speak with you?"

Aragorn came to Gandalf, and the two of them moved to the front of the company. Leaving me alone with Legolas.

I groaned internally. Great. Just...great.

We walked in silence for hours. I kept myself busy, watching the Hobbits, watching my footing, and watching my back. This was not my favorite position in the company, not only because of Legolas, but also because there was a very real danger of something sneaking up behind us and attacking.

We reached an end to the maze of corridors and came to another mining shaft. The bridge leading through stretched on and on, until I was sure we'd been on it for miles. I couldn't see the bottom below-it could've been ten feet or a thousand. I caught myself gazing into the void as we walked, fascinated by its mystery.

Then Legolas grabbed my arms.

I gasped. Why had he-? Then I looked down and blushed. There was a large hole in the bridge, and I was about to walk right in it.

I reluctantly met Legolas's gaze. His expression was neutral, but his eyes were cold and uncaring.

I wrenched free of his touch. "I don't know why you bother," I hissed, glaring up at him. We continued walking, and this time I watched where I put my feet.

"Perhaps because you are one of the company," Legolas replied in a toneless murmur.

"Or perhaps because Gandalf would have your head if you didn't," I retorted.

Legolas gave a humorless snort.

I waited for him to say something. Anything. Finally, I muttered, "I suppose you want me to apologize."

"For what, precisely?"

"You tell me," I snapped, shooting him a glare. "Maybe for being born. Would that be a good start?"

Legolas met my gaze, and in his eyes was nothing but pain and a festering bitterness. "I do not hold you responsible for your parents' actions."

I broke our eye contact, swallowing.

Legolas gave a defeated sigh. "The old texts show that love is sacred. And not only love, but life as well." He looked at me; I could feel his gaze, but I didn't look back. "Even orcs and Dwarf scum have their place in the world."

"And I suppose I fit into one of those categories?" I snapped, whirling to glare at him. "Orcs, or Dwarf scum?" I spat at his feet, which he didn't even move to avoid. "I'll do you a favor," I growled. "I'll pretend you don't have hit me written across your forehead."