26. Guest List

I moped all the way back to my room, still processing the news about Saruman. His was one job I considered a success, and had never regretted until now.

When I reached my room, the Hobbit-Samwise-was still standing where I'd left him. "Hey," I said, "Gandalf just arrived, and he went to see Frodo. I'll bet you could go visit him, too."

Samwise perked up. "Really?"

I smiled, thinking of what Elrond had said. "Yes, I think so."

He didn't respond a second time, just started running in the wrong direction.

"Wait," I called, trying not to laugh. "He's the other way. Come on, I'll take you there."

Samwise blushed. "Thank you, miss." He glanced up at me and added, "I'm Samwise Gamgee, by the way."

"Nice to meet you," I said, flashing him a smile. There was something about Hobbits that just...made the world brighter. Perhaps it was their naive innocence. But I caught myself feeling a little more content with them around.

"You're awful short to be an Elf," Samwise observed honestly. "No offense."

I smiled again. "None taken. I'm not an Elf."

"What are you, then?"

I sighed. "That's...complicated." I looked at him and added, "But my name is Eda."

We walked in companionable silence the rest of the way to Elrond's house, but the moment Gandalf's pointy hat came into view, Samwise broke into a run and burst into the healing room. "Frodo! Bless you, you're awake!" he cried.

The feeling that I was utterly alone struck me hard. I squeezed my eyes shut for a moment and took a deep breath. Voices faded into the background as I struggled with tears. Never before had I felt so helplessly alone. Never before had I lost this much hope for the future.

"Amariel?"

I opened my eyes. Lord Elrond stood before me, his dark eyes lined with exhaustion, but also sympathy. I sniffed, trying to hide my runny nose. "Yes?"

"May I speak with you?"

What was it with everyone suddenly asking if they could talk to me? I shrugged and nodded. "Sure."

He motioned for me to follow him, and we walked into his house, going up a flight of stairs and down a corridor before entering his private study. "I have need to speak to Mithrandir, as well, so we do not have long," he said. "However, I have once again foreseen your future."

I sank into one of the chairs decorating the room. "And?"

"After the outcome of last night's events, a number of paths have become much clearer for you," he said, meeting my gaze. His eyes were filled with an apology. "You are in grave danger."

"I know," I replied wearily. "Saruman. Gandalf told me."

"It is far more than just Saruman," Elrond replied.

"Then what?"

Lord Elrond hesitated. "I cannot tell you. But, for your safety, you must remain in Rivendell."

I sighed. "Gandalf told me that, too. But for how long?"

"Two years," Elrond replied quietly. "Possibly longer."

"Two years!" I cried, my eyes filling with tears. "Lord Elrond...I can scarcely remain in one place for two weeks."

"Amariel," he sighed. "You view me as cold, heartless. But everything I do, I do for your benefit. Even when I revealed your falsehood to Bilbo, I did so knowing that you would create a deeper friendship with him as a result."

I looked away, swallowing.

"I ask that you would trust me," Elrond said, his voice gentle.

"You have given me no reason to," I replied sharply. "'I cannot tell you this; I cannot tell you that.' If you would only explain yourself, your reasons...perhaps I would listen."

Pain entered Elrond's expression, as though a war were being waged within him. "I cannot," he whispered. He glanced at a parchment sitting on his desk, frowned, and crossed the room. As he lifted a book and opened it, I stood and pretended to gaze out the window. Instead, I glanced at the paper. A single word caught my attention.

Legolas.

The crown prince of Mirkwood. Tauriel's admirer. What was his name doing on what appeared to be a...a guest list?

I glanced over my shoulder at Elrond. He was busily reading in his book. Keeping a wary eye on him, I snagged the paper and hid it under my shirt.

Augmenting the frustration in my voice and feigning some long-forgotten tears, I said, "Then please understand when I return to choosing my own future." And I strode out of the room as quickly as my short legs could carry me. I smirked. Betcha didn't see that one coming, did you Elrond?

I ran to the nearest safe haven I could take cover in-Bilbo's room. Bilbo was sitting on a bench just outside, his feet dangling as he hunched over a small pocketbook.

"Bilbo," I gasped breathlessly, "look what I found!"

He looked up and smiled, patting the bench beside him. "What have you got?"

I plopped down where he'd indicated. "I'm not sure-but it looks like a guest list."

He gave a slight frown. "You pinched it, didn't you?"

I smirked. "Right off Elrond's desk. He didn't even notice."

Bilbo's face lit up with a mischievous grin. "Well, out with it, then! Let me see!"

I pulled the paper out and handed it to Bilbo. His chubby, wrinkled forefinger trailed over the list of names. "I don't recognize...ahh, Gloin is coming! And he has a son!" Bilbo chuckled excitedly. "It'll be good to see that old rascal again."

I frowned. I hadn't noticed Gloin's name. "Keep going," I urged.

"Alright, alright." Bilbo continued reading, and as predicted, he paused again. "Legolas is coming," he murmured. "I wonder how he's been. ..."

I gazed at the paper in Bilbo's hands. Legolas Greenleaf, Thranduilion.

"I don't recognize any of the other names," Bilbo said, jolting me back to the present. "At any rate, you'd better slip that back onto Elrond's desk. Then we'll go down to the gate and wait for everyone to arrive."

I grinned and stood. "Okay!"

"Oh, and..." Bilbo winked. "Don't get caught."