86. Straight to the Castle

We'd been in Mirkwood forest barely two hours before I started hearing footsteps nearby. They were subtle, and neither Dwalin nor Larika seemed to notice. I wasn't worried though; I knew of the Mirkwood spiders, and this was not them.

"Just remember," I said to Dwalin and Larika, in case the Elves were listening, "we aren't here to make trouble. We just want to talk."

Larika nodded, and Dwalin grunted.

The Elves didn't make us wait long. We rounded a bend, and three guards stood arm-to-arm in the path. I didn't doubt there were at least a dozen more surrounding us just out of sight.

"Gi suilon (I greet you)," I called.

The three exchanged surprised glances. "Suil, (greetings)," replied the ellon in the center, bowing his head. "What brings you and your companions to Mirkwood?"

"I am Amariel, Queen Under the Mountain," I said. "I wish to speak with King Thranduil regarding the current state of relations between Dwarves and Elvenkind."

A troubled expression flitted across the ellon's flawless features, and he said, "Allow me to take council with my kindred."

I nodded once. "Of course."

While the three Elves exchanged hushed whispers, Dwalin came over to me and whispered, "What if they don't let us through?"

"Then we agree and politely ask them to accompany us to the boarder. We aren't here to fight, Dwalin, only to talk. If Thranduil doesn't want to talk...that's his loss."

"My lady Amariel?" called the ellon. "We have decided to escort you to the castle. Follow us please."

I gave Dwalin a smile and urged my pony forward, after the Elves.

* * *

The trip did not take long with the Elves' guidance, and soon we approached a massive structure built into the side of a mountain. A large drawbridge over a rushing stream separated the castle from the world around. Two sentries stood guard in front of the doors, and silently opened them for us.

The inside of the castle was spacious, elegantly decorated, but also dark and intimidating. The lobby of the castle was more lavish than my bedroom, and I could practically see my half-Dwarvish breath staining the manicured aura.

"I shall see if His Majesty will grant you an audience," said the ellon.

"Actually, I should freshen up before I speak with His Majesty. Do you have any available accomedations we could use?"

"Of course," the ellon replied. "Lavanien, would you show lady Amariel and her friends to the guest chambers, and Brasdir, you may carry their things for them."

An elleth that had hardly left the ellon's side the entire journey nodded once. "Come with me, if you please."

Fully aware the guest chambers may just be the dungeons, I followed Lavanien down an opulent corridor and Dwalin and Larika reluctantly followed me. But we didn't descend into the smelly depths of any dungeon. Instead, Lavanien opened the door to a large, spacious suite. "For you, my lady Amariel. Your servants will be in the next room; there is an adjoining door."

"Perfect, thank you Lavanien," I said.

Brasdir set our things outside the door, and the both bowed and strode back down the hall. Dwalin grunted. "Hmph. I thought for sure Pointy-Ears back there meant the dungeons."

"Me too," I admitted. "But this just goes to show what a difference good manners can make. Watch and learn, kids." I smirked and went into my suite.