44. Running

Legolas's POV

That reckless, brave, stupid girl hesitated just long enough for the troll to club her in the side. The force picked Eda up and sent her flying across the room, hitting a pillar on the second level with a sickening crunch. And Tauriel's only child slumped to the floor, motionless.

With a desperate battle yell, Gimli hurled his axe at the monster. The axehead lodged in the troll's shoulder. Enraged, the troll swung its club. It smashed into the tomb, knocking the Dwarf onto his back.

I fired a double at the troll, and the foul creature staggered back. Then I grabbed Gimli's collar and hauled him to his feet. Mordor, those troublesome Dwarves were heavy!

A goblin ran up the stairs to the second level, where Eda was. I drew an arrow and put an end to his course.

The troll found another target and lumbered away. The disgusting creature had to be killed, but I had to get to Eda. There was a chance-a chance-that she was still alive. After ensuring there were no goblins nearby, I ran to one of the pillars and took two steps up, letting my momentum drive me upward. Then I grabbed the edge of the second level and swung myself up.

Eda lay exactly how she'd fallen-on her back, one arm up by her head and the other flung out.

Grief threatened to overtake me, but I forced it back. I glanced around for goblins, but the second level was deserted, save Eda and me. I knelt beside her and pressed my fingers to her throat. A strong, steady heartbeat rewarded my efforts. I closed my eyes and exhaled. Eda was alive.

"Frodo!" Aragorn yelled.

I looked up. The troll had Frodo cornered at the opposite end of the room. Aragorn charged in with a spear, poking the troll's chest, but not penetrating the skin. The troll snatched the spear away, then backhanded Aragorn, knocking him away. He grunted, slowly pulling himself up again.

The troll turned to Frodo, and drove the spear into the halfling's stomach.

"Frodo! Frodo!" Samwise cried.

I stood. Our ringbearer had just been killed. I set an arrow to my bowstring and let it fly into the troll's neck. But it only went in a little. Only enraged the beast further.

The troll turned. It bared its ugly teeth at me and snatched up a discarded chain. Then it sent the end whipping toward my head.

I ducked just in time. The troll snarled and tried again, aiming lower. I threw myself out of the way, feeling the wind stir over my neck. Then I jumped up. The next attempt was a swing, and I ran behind one of the columns-not the one Eda lay beside. The chain wrapped around the base, and I stepped on the end, securing it. Then, calculating my course of action, I ran down the length of chain and onto the troll's shoulders.

As the creature flailed around, trying to get me off, I set two arrows to my bowstring and aimed down into the neck. They penetrated deep, but didn't sever the spine. I didn't get a second attempt; the troll reached for me with his massive hand, and I had to jump down.

I trotted around to its front, readying another arrow. I drew it back, waiting for the right moment...then released it into the troll's open mouth.

The troll staggered, then finally fell. The room was silent, save the heavy breaths of the mortals.

Aragorn crawled to where Frodo lay and pulled him onto his back. "No, Frodo," he whispered. The halfling Samwise slowly walked toward Frodo, his eyes filling with tears.

Frodo gasped, then let out a soft groan. "I'm okay," he said, "I'm not hurt."

I left the rest of the Fellowship to gather around the ringbearer, and trotted up the narrow staircase to the second level. Eda was exactly where I'd left her, still unconscious. After slinging my bow over my shoulder, I gathered her up in my arms.