84. Puzzle Pieces

The cold, echoing path to the dungeon was cold brought back too many memories. Memories of pain, fear, and a life I once believed I'd escaped. I was coming to realize, you can run from your demons, but you can never hide.

"Is something troubling you, Your Majesty?" Larika asked softly. Even in her distressed state of mind, she was still concerned with the thoughts and feelings of others.

A stab of guilt went through me. Why couldn't I be that selfless? Eru, she would probably make a better queen than I was.

"Nothing you need to concern yourself with, Larika," I answered.

We rounded a corner, and at the end of the corridor was a metal door and a Dwarf guarding it.

"Let us in," I said firmly.

The Dwarf immediately complied, pulling out a heavy-looking key and unlocking the door.

"I will need the keys to Dwalin's cell door and shackles, as well," I said.

The guard hesitated. "Forgive me, Your Majesty, but the ones that brought him instructed me to unshackle him."

I looked the guard in the eye for a long moment. It wasn't a big deal, in this case. But I couldn't allow this to become a habit. "This will not happen again. Do you understand?"

"Y-yes Your Majesty." He quickly pulled a key out of his pocket and handed it to me. "Th-the key to the c-cell. He's in the first to the le-left."

"You can go now," I said, brushing past the guard and going into the dungeon. "Don't bother coming back."

It hadn't changed much in the last fifty-plus years. Cold, well-lit, and remarkably clean. I went to the first cell on the left—ironically, the cell where Dwalin had left me on several occasions. I inserted the key in the lock and turned it, then pulled open the door.

Dwalin lay on his stomach on the thin cot, glaring up at me as we entered. I looked over his back, and winced.

"Larika, go get some water, some rags and bandages, and medicine."

"Yes, my lady," Larika said, and hurried out of the dungeon.

I waited until she was out of hearing range, then I walked into the cell.

"I thought it would be at least a couple of hours before you came to visit me," Dwalin said gruffly. He watched me warily as I walked to his side and looked over his torn back. Blood still oozed from the gashes, but they weren't deep.

"Oh, that's not bad," I said, quoting one of his favorite lines after he'd just whipped me. "You'll be good as new, in a couple of weeks."

Dwalin gave a dry scoff. "Are you happy, now that our roles have changed?"

"No," I said. "Revenge wasn't my goal."

"Of course not," Dwalin muttered. He tried to move, winced, and stilled.

"I did this to make a point," I said, crossing my arms over my stomach. "It was a power play; you know that."

Dwalin snorted. "Don't tell me you didn't get any satisfaction seeing me beaten like a dog."

"If this were about revenge," I said, raising my voice a notch, "I would have left you here to suffer for a few hours. Like you did to me." We glared at each other for a moment, then I sighed. "Either way, Dwalin, I'm calling it even now. I'm letting all of that go. You are now my most trusted councilor, and I am your beloved Queen. Clear?"

Dwalin gave me a hard look for a long moment, then nodded. "As you wish, Your Majesty."

I nodded in return. "Now, tell me about Larika. Why did the Court react to her being my maid? And why in Eru's name did you actually stand up for her?"