31. Wait. What?

I awoke to someone entering the room. I groaned and straightened in the armchair, grimacing at the crick in my neck. Ugh. I probably would've been better off sleeping on the floor.

"Good morning, Eda."

I blinked and looked up at Elrohir, who was standing over me. "Mmph." I swiped a hand over my eyes and blinked. "Waddaya want?"

Elrohir gave a tight smile. "I need you to come with me." His hand rested on the hilt of his sword.

I frowned. What in Mordor was going on? "Why?" I asked cautiously, still trying to blink away the last tendrils of sleep.

"You are hereby charged with falsely sounding the alarm and causing discord," Elrohir said quietly. "I place you under arrest. Orders of Lord Elrond."

I tensed. My knife was in my sleeve, but in my curled up position on the chair, I was at a severe disadvantage. But if I managed to jump up and stand on the chair...our height difference would be evened out. But, Eru, I didn't want to hurt Elrohir.

"Don't do it," he murmured. "Father said it would just be for a few days."

I bit my lip.

"Please, Eda," Elrohir said. "I don't want to fight you."

I hesitated for a long moment. Then, finally, I nodded. The will to run had left without a trace. I deliberately stood, moving slowly to show Elrohir I wasn't going to fight.

"I must ask you to surrender your weapon," he said gently.

I scowled. Technically, my knife wasn't a weapon. It was a hunting knife. But that had to be what he was talking about.

Elrohir caught my wrist and reached into my sleeve. His fingers grazed the hilt of my knife. Oh no you did not. Nobody touches my knife without permission. I swung around, ready to fight.

Elrohir threw me down onto my stomach and pressed his knee into my back. He took my knife, then tied my wrists tightly. "I didn't want this," he said regretfully. Then he pulled me to my feet, then sighed and took a handful of my hair. "Come on." Elrohir propelled me toward the door.

We left the building and descended many staircases. We passed no one the entire time—Rivendell seemed almost deserted. Odd. We finally came to a place I'd never visited before—the dungeons.

There were many cells carved into the mountainside, with wrought-iron doors that looked impossible to jimmy. The cells themselves were dry and clean, with a single bench-like cot at the back of each. Elrohir opened one of the doors and nudged me inside.

"I'm afraid to untie you," he said honestly, a small smile on his face.

"You don't need to untie me," I said, trying to keep the desperate edge out of my voice. "Just, give me my knife back." When he frowned, I added in a whisper, "Please."

Elrohir shook his head as he closed the cell door. "I can't do that, I'm sorry. But when my father finishes with his council, I will speak with him."

My ears perked up. "What is this council I keep hearing of?"

He scowled. "I know not. Every time I ask, Father tells me I will understand someday."

"Perhaps he thinks you aren't old enough," I said in a teasing voice.

"But Elladan is attending!"

"He's older than you," I pointed out.

"By five minutes," Elrohir grumbled.

"Six minutes and twenty-five seconds," I corrected, smirking.

"How did you—!" Elrohir started, then realization dawned on him. "Oh. ..."

I winced and looked away. I shouldn't have opened my mouth. I just couldn't resist a good argument. Nothing new there.

"So..." Elrohir leaned against the wall. "You were the one that sounded the alarm last night?"

"Why do you care?" I muttered.

He gave a slow shrug. "I guess I was just wondering...did my father put you up to it?"

I frowned. Why would Elrond encourage a false alarm? Then my eyebrows shot up. "Elrohir," I said, my tone teasing, "were you with Rusceth last night?"

A flush crawled up his neck. "Is that to say he did not?"

I would've crossed my arms...but my hands were tied. Instead, I cocked my head to the side. "Answer my question first."

Elrohir straightened and gave me a stiff bow. "If you'll excuse me, I have responsibilities that I must tend to. Please do not attempt to escape." With that, he turned and strode away.

"Wait!" I yelled. "My knife!"

But he kept walking.

My knife. Elrohir had just walked away with my knife. I began pacing, trying to calm my breathing, but failing. I finally launched a kick at the wall. Pain shot up my foot.

"Ow!" I hopped backward, but without my arms free to balance myself, I ended up falling to my rear.

Eru damn it all, I'd lost my knife.